Chapter Eleven

Alexia  

        "I think we should talk about what happened," I blurted out before I could do anything stupid. 

        She was so close. I only had to move a few inches and our lips would touch. I wouldn't do that to her or myself. It wouldn't be fair. It would only lead to heartbreak and pain. 

       I think I know what she's trying to do. We went to my favorite places and places I've wanted to go to all day. Now she brings me to her house and shows me this beautiful setup she did for me. I think this is her grand finale. She's going to apologize and try to make everything better. But I don't know if I could go back to the way things were. I would only end up heartbroken because she doesn't love me back.

      I decided that I'll her out. It could be the closure both of us need. 

      "Yeah. We really should," she replied softly, "I had a whole speech of what to say, but I think you deserve better than that."

       "Wha-" 

       "Please just let me get through this. I'm really sorry. And I know sorry won't cut it, but it's a start. I know I really hurt you when you needed me. I was the selfish one. You deserve the world and more. You are the best person I've ever met and you've made my life so much better," she said quietly, her eyes starting to water, "I regret everything I said that day. You didn't deserve that and I haven't treated you the best. I put you on the back burner while I tried to make something work so bad. Even when I knew, deep down, it was never going to."

       "What are you talking about?" I was so confused. I thought she was just going o apologize and we'll move on. This is starting to sound like something else...

     "Jonah. I tried so hard to make things work. I put everything I had into it and you were hurt in the fallout. I don't think I ever loved him. Something was just missing the whole time. And the other day I knew what. You. You were what was missing. It just came to me the other day when I was painting. You remember the day on the playground. When we agreed to marry each other."

      "Yeah. We were so young. We held hands the whole rest of the day," I smiled, looking back at the memory. I guess I always had loved her. 

     "Yeah. I was painting and painting and it was like a light bulb went off. I guess deep down I always knew I was in love with you," she said smiling softly at me, "and I can't think of anyone better to be in love with."

       I didn't know what to say. I was dumbfounded. Never in a million years did I ever think Evelynne would love me back. It was like I was in a dream, and it wasn't one I ever wanted to wake from.

       "You-you love me? Like, are in love with me?" I could barely get out. I just couldn't believe it.

      "I am really, really in love with you. And I'm so so so sorry for everything."

       I didn't say anything, but I leaned over to kiss her. It was everything I could have asked for. It wasn't fireworks or anything like that. It felt like home. And I couldn't have asked for anything better.

       "In case you couldn't tell, I am really, really in love with you too. And I'm sorry too," she looked at me in confusion, "I could have handled everything better. I shouldn't have freaked out on you like that, I should have just talked to you." 

       "Still, you didn't deserve what I said. I really am sorry and I will do whatever I can to make it up to you." 

        "I could think of a few things," I muttered before leaning in to kiss her again. 

       We just laid there, softly kissing for what felt like hours. Eventually, my stomach started to growl. Startling both of us into laughter.

        "I already made dinner. I just have to go get it out of the kitchen," she said, standing up, "I made your favorite."

       She came back out with a big basket. It had tons of things in it. All of it was my favorite things to eat. I was just so amazed. Who knew the day would end like this?

      We ate quickly, talking the whole time. It was nice and comfortable. It felt like everything was right in the world. 

      After we ate, we went inside and decided to watch a movie. It was something light and funny. It was just what I needed after everything that happened. We changed into pajamas and settled on the couch with a bunch of blankets. I laid in between her legs with my head on her chest. She ran her hands through my hair pretty much the whole time.

       I was halfway through the movie when my eyes started to droop. I didn't realize how tired I was. I guess it was to be expected though, these past few weeks have been rough. 

       "Go to sleep, love, I'll still be here in the morning," Evelynne said, kissing my head, "I love you."

       "I love you too." Was the last thing I managed to get out before sleep completely overtook me. 

       It was the best sleep I have had in a while. I was so comfortable and warm. It was nice. I woke up in the same position I fell asleep in. Evelynne was already awake and watching me with a soft look on her face. 

       I leaned up to kiss her, morning breath the last thing on my mind. I should have known better though. 

      "We really need to brush our teeth," I said laughing. She laughed, nodding her head in agreement.

       "We went upstairs and into her bathroom. It was nice, familiar. It felt like it had before, I guess we've always been like this. 

         After we were done, she walked up behind me and put her arms around my waist. I sagged back into her, basking in the warmth and comfort being in her arms brought. I looked at us through the mirror. Our eyes met, but we didn't say anything. I was just so happy. I turned my head to kiss her, and she met it easily.  

        Who knew being loved was so nice?