Two

"Are you going to stand there and lurk or do you plan on coming in?" Nathaniel had his back to the doorway of his room. Edward was hesitant as he stood there but came in anyways. Nathaniel set down the watch he had on, onto his dresser before turning to his brother.

"We need to talk." Nathaniel leaned back folding his arms over his chest. His pupils dilate as he assesses his brother.

"Alice had a vision."

"That's nothing new. What's the weather for tomorrow by the way?" Edward forcibly sighed making the smirk to work back on his brothers face.

"It has something to do with the chief's daughter Isabella Swan she's supposed to be starting at school soon." Edward states. Nathaniel shrugs shaking his head slightly.

"And that has something to do with me why?"

"Alice said that you were involved with her somehow. We don't know much other than that." Nathaniel looks at him with mock surprise.

"Oh is that right? Tell me Eddie what exactly was I doing with said human?" Edward locks eyes with his brother as he read his thoughts.

"It's not like that Nathaniel." He scoffs pushing off of the dresser, arms dropping to his sides.

"What was it Eddie? You know you can't lie to me." Edward felt himself grow tense knowing he's right. That was his gift. He knew lies from the truth and was capable of pulling truths from humans and vampires alike.

"You were...close with her." Nathaniel rolled his eyes at his brothers hesitance.

"Edward can we cut around the bullshit for a second?" He asks.

"We think it's possible she can be your mate." Edward paused to let the words sink in. He knew this would end one of two ways with Nathaniel. One, he will heed his warning and keep a distance from the human or two, he will do the complete opposite of what he says because Nathaniel hates being told what to do.

There was a pained expression on Nathaniel's face for a brief moment before becoming neutral.

"Alice saw you covered in blood, we don't know for sure it was this Isabella girl but we do know it was linked to her. You've come so far Nate, I'll be damned if this girl messes that up." Nathaniel tensed up with a stony expression. He looks down for a brief moment muttering,

"You'll be damned?" Edward frowned looking at his brother with worry. Nathaniel shook his head before brushing passed his brother and out of the room.

-

Nathaniel leaned back against the tree bark. He sat high up in an evergreen tree on a hill that overlooked an everlasting array of evergreen trees. He fiddled with the match box he kept in his pocket flicking one alight before flicking it downwards where it fizzled out before lightly hitting the ground.

A mate.

The word turned sour in his mouth if he tried to utter it. Nathaniel never thought that in a hundred years he could potentially find a mate. Everyone but he and his brother had found their mates. Carlisle found Esme, Rosalie Emmett and Alice found Jasper. The kind of monster he was he didn't deserve love let alone by a human. It would never work. Alice saw him hurt her if not directly. He was a monster, all that he touches turns to ruin. He was a beast. Blood lust is what keeps him going, an animalistic machine that runs on the color red.

Happiness was not in the cards for him. If he allowed himself the temptation he will run blind into something that will surely be his undoing.

It shouldn't be hard to stay away. He thought.

The humans never really bothered to interact with them minus a select few who were bold enough to ask his brother and himself out to a school dance the end of year prior. So this one shouldn't be any different, she's just another human.

Based on what Jasper told him the mate bond was strong, you're drawn to one another like magnets, there's always that pull even when they're away, no matter where you look all you see was them.

Nathaniel didn't think he had it in him to feel drawn to someone like that, because whenever Nathaniel likes something it always turns to ash in his grasp.

He had to make a decision, but first he couldn't do anything until he knew for certain what effect this human will have on him if there's any reaction at all. He knew Alice's visions weren't for certain, more based on the decisions of the person themselves, but he didn't find himself wanting to involve himself with the human even now with the knowledge that they can be his mate.

It would be impossible.

~
Unedited

vote/comment

robbstark_