Nine

By the time Monday came around Isabella Swan had questions. After her recent visit to La Push and her conversation with Jacob Black, her interest on the oddities of the Cullen's had only increased.

Based on her own observations they were an odd bunch of high schoolers. They were all adopted and yet they all shared the same ivory complexion, even their father has the same pale tone. Their eyes was another thing. Bella thought they all wore contacts but she's witnessed for herself that they change in tones on  their own, from a deep umber to near gold. It was strange, so was the story of the Cold Ones. And what was nagging her the most was the lack of wounds after the accident, there was no way someone could walk away from ramming their car into a van without a scratch. And yet Nathaniel did, followed by a new rental car the next day like it was nothing according to Jessica.

Feeling the turmoil of questions brew inside her Bella got out of her bed to get dressed. After getting into a  brown striped long sleeve she put on a pair of worn jeans and her sneakers. Putting her hair back into a low pony she plopped down at her desk chair and googled book stores in Port Angeles with Native American lore.

Scrolling through she found Thunderbird and Whale Bookstore. Clicking on the link she searched for a book on Quileute history. Her heart started to pick up after finding the book she was looking for. Jotting down the name and address she shoves it in her pocket before heading off to school on a surprisingly sunny day.

-

Bella sat in the school yard before class with her Jessica. Everyone was lively that morning enjoying the nice sunny weather. Bella was casually looking around keeping an eye out for the Cullens especially Nathaniel. After their brief encounter on Friday in the cafeteria he kept buzzing around in her head.

"He's not here." Bella snapped out of her thoughts of Nathaniel and looked to Jessica who was sitting on the table sunbathing. "Whenever the weathers nice the Cullen's disappear." She explained.

"What do they just ditch?" She asks as she began to peel the skin from her lip which was a bad nervous habit of hers.

"No, Dr and Mrs. Cullen yank them out for, like, hiking, camping and stuff. I tried that out with my parents not even close."

"Guys, I'm going to the prom with Eric. I just asked him. I took control." Angela joined them at the table sitting besides Bella.

"I told you that would happen." Bella smiled for her friend as she was pulled into a quick embrace. "Are you sure you have to go out of town?" Angela asks.

"Oh, yeah, its a little family thing." She says before taking a bite of her green apple.

"Okay, we should go shopping in Port Angeles before all the good dresses are cleaned out." The bell rang signaling it was time to go in. The girls gathered their things together to head in.

"Port Angeles? You mind if I come?"

"Yeah, I need your opinion." Angela grinned as the girls started making their way to class while gushing about prom.

-

After school Bella dropped her truck off at home and left a note for Charlie stating she was going out with her friends and that she won't be back until later that evening. Once she entered Jessica's car the conversation instantly turned to prom, excitement bubbling between the two girls in the front seat. Bella smiled from the back nodding along, as Jess set her music playlist in the car.

The ride to Port Angeles went for about an hour but Bella didn't mind it. As the girls chatted away, Bella replayed the story about the Cold Ones. The idea that she was insinuating was near ludicrous but the theories just went on in her mind. From radioactive spiders to other superhero stuff that she's read when she was younger. It had to be something, that much she knew, even if it was indeed crazy.