Nineteen

Edward followed right behind his brother and Bella as they entered their home. Upon seeing Laurent, Nathaniel was ready to lunge before Edward held him back.

"Wait. He came to warn us about James." Carlisle explains, his eyes moving from Nathaniel to Edward. Edward released Nathaniel who took a protective stance in front of Bella.

"This isn't my fight, and I've grown tired of his games. But he's got unparalleled senses, absolutely lethal. I've never seen anything like him in my 300 years."

"That's comforting." Nathaniel rolled his shoulders back, trying to release the pent up tension building inside of him. It didn't help that he was starting to become hungry, he often did when his emotions were on the rise.

Laurent left after that brief interaction. Nathaniel was in a heightened state, his brother was worried. He knew how this would end, in death. He pitied James for being on the end of Nathaniel's wrath. He was fiercely protective when he wanted to be and was always a vicious fighter.

-

"I've had to kill our kind before. They're not easy."

"But not impossible." Nathaniel pushed himself off the counter as they were coming up with a game plan.

"I don't relish the thought of killing another creature. Even a sadistic one like James."

"What if he kills one of us first?" Bella glanced at Rosalie as she asked that question. What if one of them die? What if she dies? Her grip on Nathaniel's hand tightened as the whirling in her stomach made her queasy.

"I'll ride with Bella down South. Can you lead the tracker away from here?"

"No Nathaniel. He knows you won't leave her. He'll anticipate it."

"I'll go with Bella. Jasper and I will drive her down South." Nathaniel pulled Bella closer to him away from Alice. Edward analyzed the thoughts of the others and they were right. Nathaniel needed to stay.

"Nathaniel they're right." Edward voiced his thoughts. "We have no other option." Reluctantly he released Bella as Alice guided her to one of the cars in the garage. He watched her go, his mind turning to one of determination.

"Esme, Rosalie, can you put these on." He tossed them Bella's jackets which he pulled from Bella's bag. "So the tracker locks onto Bella's scent."

"Why? What is she to me?"

"Rosalie now's not the time to be a stubborn bi-."

"That's enough!" Carlisle exclaimed silencing the impending argument. "Rosalie, Bella is with Nathaniel. She's part of this family now, and we protect our family." He held out Bella's coat which she reluctantly grabbed and put on, hopping off the counter. Emmett guided her to the jeep.

Walking over to Bella, Nathaniel can tell she was freaking out. He didn't blame her, he couldn't imagine what is was like to be the hunted since he was the hunter. Her heart was beating erratically and her breathing was labored as if she was on the verge of a panic attack. He supposed she was.

"If-If anything happens I...If anything happens, I swear to God-" Nathaniel poked his head in giving her a kiss, silencing her from rambling. He wasn't sure what to say, he was never good at comforting others.

"Alice and Jasper will keep you safe. We'll find them and end this. I'm sorry I put you in harms way." He frowned. "I never meant for this to happen. There's 8 of us and 2 of them, they won't get close to you." The engine was revved interrupting his thoughts. "I'll see you soon." And with that Jasper sped off with Alice besides him holding his hand. Bella watched him from the rear view before he disappeared.

-

By the time they passed the Forks sign, the sun was starting to rise. As always the clouds covered the sky leaving a melancholy feeling inside Bella. She didn't know what it was.

Panic?
Fear?
Dread?

She was feeling so many things at once that a part of her shut down. She was quiet for most of the duration of the extended car ride. It took over a 24 hours to get there. They only stopped when she needed to pee or pick up food for her. She called her mom a few times in the mean time but was always left with the voicemail. She left three, the last one just to tell her that she loved her. She had no messages from Charlie which she wasn't too surprised by. She felt guilty when he was bound to find out she was lying to him. 

Nathaniel promised nothing will happen so she had to trust in that, trust in him and his family.

She was more than happy when they reached the sunny state and when they arrived to Phoenix. They stopped in a hotel finally. Bella needed to shower and wash away everything from the last two days. When she was left alone to be checked into the hotel she couldn't help but check her surroundings for any sign of Victoria, James or even Nathaniel to tell her it was all over. But she knew he would call first.

She fluttered her eyes, snapping herself out of her own head when Jasper and Alice came back over to her.

"Bella are you okay?" Alice asked her. Bella nodded her head.

"Yeah, I'm just tired." Picking up her bag they went to their assigned room. Alice got a suite, and she wasted no time to hop into the shower.

-

Nathaniel thought everything was going to plan until James changed directions. 

~

Unedited

I can't believe this story reached 14k, thank you guys so much. We got one chapter left then this story will be over :( I hope you guys have enjoyed it! I know it's not exactly original but I was trying a little bit of a different take on the story.

Vote/Comment
robbstark_