~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~

CHAPTER 8:

Where He has Company for Lunch

~~**~~

|Archer|

Breakfast was eerily silent.

As usual

My father flipped through the morning paper as he drank a glass of orange juice, a permanent frown marring his face. My mother sipped her tea, her expression vacant, seemingly lost in her own world.

Sometimes, I found myself wishing that things would go back to normal but I smothered that thought as soon as it entered my mind.

Things would never be normal.

Not after what had happened.

Not after what we had endured.

"I talked to Edwin, about you interning at our firm during your winter break. We usually don't have internships for high school students but since I'm a senior partner and you're my son they're willing to make an exception." My father's stoic voice cut in.

My whole body stiffened and my hands curled into fists.

"I'm not interested in your law firm," I said quietly my eyes trained at the table.

The paper in my father's hands rustled as he put it down.

"Why the hell not?" He demanded, his loud voice boomed making my mother gasp.

My jaw clenched.

"Because Dad, I don't want to be a fucking lawyer." My eyes blazed as I stood up abruptly. "I've told you this a thousand times and I'll tell you again, I'm not going to law school, I'm not taking that bar exam and I'm sure as hell not working at your firm!"

The chair screeched as my father got up. "Watch your tongue boy. You have no idea about what you want right now or what's good for you. If I say you're going to be a lawyer that's what you will do no questions asked, understood?"

"Archer, listen to your father please." My mother whispered.

My eyes widened in shock.

Her statement was like a punch to the gut.

I turned to her, my voice accusing, "How can you say that?" I demanded. "After everything that has happened how can you still say that?"

"We only want what's best for you." Her eyes shone with tears.

"Like you wanted the best for Jordan?" I laughed mirthlessly, look where that got him."

What I'd just said might have been cruel. Maybe even a little unfair. But I was beyond caring at this point.

"Don't you dare speak his name in this house!" My father roared, the glass in his hand plummeted to the floor and shattered.

My mother started sobbing.

I just turned and walked out of the door, not daring to look at the chaos I'd caused behind me.

~~**~~

The day had started out bad and then just proceeded to get worse as it progressed.

I tried the door again for good measure. It didn't budge.

Fuck

The library was locked.

There was a notice taped to the door saying that the library would remain unavailable to students for the next  two weeks. Apparently, a termite infestation had been discovered and it would take two whole weeks to fumigate the place and put things back in order.