~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~

CHAPTER 14: 

Where She Lives a Little With Him

~~**~~

|Fallon|

2 Years Ago

"You're seriously going to wear that to our date? I didn't book a table at a fancy-ass restaurant so you could embarrass me looking like that?" Chase spat out.

"But this is the nicest thing I own." I couldn't keep my voice from wavering.

I'd spent over three hours going through my limited selection of clothes, trying to come up with the perfect outfit, and I'd spent the next two hours getting ready.

"Don't look at me like you're some wounded animal, Fallon." He rolled his eyes. "You do shit like this and then get upset when I don't acknowledge our relationship in public or pretend I don't know you in front of my friends."

My anger spiked. "If you're so embarrassed of me why did you ask me out in the first place?" I demanded.

"How could you even ask me that?" Chase's voice rose. "Do you have any idea how many girls have asked me out? Slid into my DMs'? I had so many options, still do, but I choose to be with you!"

"Am I supposed to thank you for that?" I swallowed, I balled my hands into fists to keep them from shaking.

"You always do this!" Chase shook his head. "You always make me out to be the bad guy. After everything I've done for you." His eyes suddenly shone with hurt. "When the orphanage threw you out I was the one who let you crash at my place till you'd saved up enough money to pay rent. I gifted you a new phone when you told me you couldn't afford one. I was the one who sat in the waiting room of the hospital when you had your appendix removed, no one else!"

I could feel guilt squeezing my heart.

He was right. He had done a lot for me. He'd been there for me when no one else had.

"But does that give him the right to make you feel the way you're feeling right now?" A small voice inside my head whispered. "

It wasn't one-sided. What about all the times I was there for him? What about all the sacrifices I made?" I wanted to ask.

I pushed that voice down.

"He's just trying to look out for you. Even if his words are harsh, they're true. He just doesn't want you to embarrass yourself in public." I told myself.

Besides, he's the only person in your life who truly cares about you. If you lose him you'll have no one.

I forced my lips into a smile.

"You're right Chase. I'm sorry I overreacted. I'll change into something more appropriate and then we can go."

Chase scoffed. "You know what, just forget it. I've lost my appetite now thanks to you. The date is off."

"Please Chase-" I started to say but he didn't even let me finish, he just walked out of the apartment and slammed the door behind himself.

I slid to the floor, and my whole body shook as I sobbed.

It's okay Fallon.

It will be okay.

"You're meant to float, not sink," I whispered to myself