~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~

CHAPTER 46: Where He Goes to See His Father

|3 Weeks Later|

|Archer|

I watched from behind the glass as two officers brought him in.

He was wearing light blue overalls, and he was handcuffed. His usually slicked-back hair was disheveled. For the first time in my life, my father, the great David Hastings, looked small and insignificant.

His bloodshot eyes met mine and in them, I saw a hint of relief.

The officers left him so he sat opposite to me on the other side of the glass in the prison visiting room.

We both simultaneously reached for the phone receivers placed on either side for communication.

"Archer, I've been trying to get in touch with you for weeks." His voice was accusing.

I remained silent.

"How is your mother doing? She hasn't been here to see me in a while."

I didn't respond.

"Look, I know you're angry. But you should know that I'm going to fix this, you just have to trust me, son-"

A humorless chuckle escaped my lips.

It was hard to believe this wasn't some sick joke the world was playing on me.

"Fix this?" I rasped. "How can you possibly fix what you have done?" My voice raised.

His face paled. "Y-you know I didn't mean for any of this to happen. I only wanted what was best for you and Jordan. None of this was supposed to happen." He stammered.

"Stop trying to delude yourself." My entire body shook with rage, "You wanted what was best for you. Everything you ever did was to feed your fucking God complex." My hands curled into fists. "You manipulated our lives around your own insecurities!"

His shoulders seemed to cave in. "I'm sorry about the girl... it's tragic what happened. I was just trying to protect myself. You have to trust me, I wasn't trying to hurt her she got in the way of the-"

My fists banged against the glass so hard he jumped in surprise.

"Don't you fucking dare!" I roared. I got to my feet, my chest heaving, "You have taken everything from me! My brother who raised me, the woman who meant everything to me. Every scrap of happiness I could have possibly had you have ripped away from me."

"Don't you dare sit here and paint yourself as a fucking victim." I swallowed. "All that time, you watched Jordan slowly dying inside because of your actions. Yet, you remained silent when you knew it was entirely your fault! You stayed silent and watched your son kill himself over your actions like the fucking coward you are."

"I'm your father! You can't just turn your back on me!" He barked.

My eyes were filled with anger and disgust when I looked at him. "You stopped being my father the day you let my brother take the blame for your despicable actions and I walked away from you the day you made me choose between you and the woman I loved."

He took a shuddering breath, His eyes filling up with tears. It was the first time in my life I had seen him cry. He hadn't even shed a tear at Jordan's funeral.

"What is it going to take for you to forgive me? I've already confessed to everything. What more can I do?" He was desperate.

I turned away, unable to look at him. "That day, she went to you hoping that she would be able to find a way to mend our broken relationship. She was afraid I was going to be unhappy if I completely cut you off. She had faith in you even though I didn't . . ."

I paused, taking a moment to collect myself, "So, to answer your question. The only person who could have convinced me to give you another chance isn't here anymore."

I shoved my hands in my sweatpants and drew the hood of my jacket over my head.

"Any chance you had at forgiveness died that day with Fallon."

I was numb.

A dead man walking.

As I turned to leave I thought I heard him call out my name but I didn't bother turning back.