~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~

CHAPTER 25:

Where He Finds a Place to Stay

~~**~~

|Archer|

"Screw him." Fallon's voice cut through my dark thoughts. We were still in the convertible which was now parked outside her apartment building.

"Huh?" I asked dumbly.

She gave me a determined look. "I said, screw your father. He had no right to say those things to you."

My features softened. "Or to you," I told her softly.

The fight I'd had with my father was still fresh in my mind. My dad and I had definitely had our differences in the past but even I knew that this time things had been different, more absolute. Maybe it was the fact that I'd never felt anger like that toward him before.

But the way he'd looked at Fallon, the way he'd talked about her. Just thinking about it now had my blood boiling.

"When you were born privileged you were supposed to protect those who weren't, not look down on them."

It was something Jordan had said to me once. I'd never really understood the significance behind his words.

Until now.

~~**~~

As soon as I entered Fallon's apartment Spartacus was rubbing his huge body against my legs. I scratched him behind his good ear and chuckled when he gave my hand an affectionate lick.

"Mr. Patterson? What are you doing here?" Fallon's surprised voice has me standing at attention. My eyes suddenly focus on the middle-aged man sitting on the living room couch.

"I tried calling you but you weren't picking up." The man explained.

"Is everything okay?" Fallon's voice seemed smaller and it instinctively made me step closer to her.

The man's eyes settled on me and seemed to understand what I was thinking because he gave me a knowing look and said, "I'm Daniel Patterson. I used to be her parent's Attorney."

I ignored him and turned to Fallon making sure she was okay. I didn't give a fuck who this guy was, he could be the president of Mars for all I cared if she wasn't comfortable with him being here I wouldn't hesitate to throw this man out of her apartment.

Fallon just gave me a subtle shake of her head conveying her message.

Daniel got up from the couch and gave Fallon an awkward smile. "My apologies if I startled you but you weren't answering my calls or emails."

Fallon seemed to finally come out of whatever daze she was in. "I'm sorry I've been busy. Is everything alright?" Her voice sounded guilty almost and it gave me the impression that she'd been purposefully avoiding talking to him.

Daniel gave her a knowing look. His features gentled a little. "I know it's hard kid. But I can't put off giving Jamie what your parents left him, you know that, it's my job. You also know that once I do he's naturally going to have questions about his parents . . . and about you. I can't lie to him. I understood when you told me that you needed time to process this and you wanted to tell him yourself but it's been over six months. I've already talked to his adoptive parents and they're fully supportive of you being a part of his life." Daniel sighed. "I know it's hard Fallon but I'm pretty sure not knowing anything about where he came from is hard for Jamie too. He deserves to know."