Best F*cking Friends

Timeline: April 2011
Setting: Chicago, Illinois

Ominscent Pov

Dayvon's siblings are gathered around the table for dinner.

He hasn't came down yet to eat which is causing his sisters to grow agitated.

"Mama can you please tell Von to come on? We ready to eattt"

Von's mother sighs & gets up from the table.

She was an excellent cook. The kids looked forward to a hot plate everyday full of delicious surprises.

"Dayvon! Get down here! Dinner is ready!"

No response.

She calls his name again but once again ... nothing.

She heads up to his bedroom and knock on the door.

Dayvon couldn't hear anything cause he was too busy listening to music on his iPod .

Mama Von bursts into his room with her arms crossed.

She snatched off his headphones .

"Ma why you do that? I didn't even do nothing"

"Dayvon dinner has been ready for 5 minutes now. I've been calling you & u won't respond"

Von shakes his head and starts to twists his dreads.

"I'm sorry ma."

They were bout to walk out the room when Mama Von stops him in his tracks.

"Dayvon"

"Yes ma'am?"

"Have you been doing ok in school? Your coach and teachers have been blowing up my phone"

Truth was, Von was ready to get out of school.

A year from now he will be graduating high school & then thrown out to the real world.

Dayvon is very nervous cause he doesn't know if he wants to go to college or just find a job at home.

Either way, he was exhausted from sports to being a honors student to partying to having hoes fight off him everyday.

"Yea mama. I'm just tired that's all but ian gone give up. Fasho"

Mama Von kisses her son on his cheek & grabs his face.

"U wasn't raised to give up baby. You got this. I'm very proud of you. If your dad was still here, he would say the same"

Von's father was killed when he was younger.

Nobody deserves to grow up without both parents in their life. So often times, he was mad at the world.

But you couldn't tell because he stayed busy.

Von joins his family downstairs & leads him family in prayer.

"Dea God, thank you fa gathering us hea today. On king david, I'm thankful fa my family & this delicious meal we finna eat. Thanks big folks nem"

Von's mother pops him in his neck, restates the prayer & they dig in.

While grubbing on some delicious soul food, Von has to mention something to his mother.

"Mama you still going out for the weekend?"

"Maybe .. why?"

Mama Von had a special weekend planned with her friends. They were gonna enjoy a nice cruise.