Chapter 11

I sent a message to Karl, Claire, Laura and Jenny and told them that Daddy had been admitted to the hospital due to heart attack.

Claire and Laura came after they had received my message. They walked at a slow pace along the corridor of the hospital and narrowed their eyes on the figure of an unknown male leaning against the wall. They looked surprised and widened their eyes when they saw James was here. Claire and Laura gave me a bear hug as they sat beside me. They knew it was not the right time to asked about James so they sat in silenced.

Shortly after they both came, Jenny arrived and we had a staring contest before she asked. "How long has it been?" She gave me a worried look. She came dressed in a white casual dress, white blazer and Christian Louboutin hot pink pumps. I assumed she was on her way to meet some friends.

I shifted my gaze to her, "almost an hour." I said nonchalantly. I saw Claire and Laura glanced evilly at Jenny and I almost burst out laughing but I managed to control myself.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw the figure of a man approaching us, tall, dark hair and he was carrying car keys with him. "Amanda?" He caught my attention when he called my name because I recognized that voice.

I turned my head and looked at him. "Karl?" I spoke under my breath. He wore a dark blue hoodie, black sweatpants and gym shoes. Karl replied my text and saying that he just went back from the gym and he was stuck in the traffic jammed on his way to the hospital.

"Karl!"I almost shrieked as I ran towards him and he threw his arms around me. I buried my head into his chest and he placed his head on top of mine. I felt his heartbeat pounding loudly in my left ear.

By this time, tears were streaming down my face. Some drops of my tears landed on Karl's chest leaving little wet circles on his hoodie. "Dad- he- I don't know- what to do-" I stammered. He pulled away, "shh, it's okay." He shushed me by putting his index finger on my lips indicating silence.

"Amanda," Karl started in a soothing tone, trying to calm me down, "he's going to be fine." He reassured me. He kept repeating the same thing over and over while rocking me back and forth.

I sniffled as he gently wiped my tears with his hands as they fell. "It hurts me to see you cry." Karl looked down at me. He always knew what to say at the right time to calm me down, but I was completely devastated. Karl made me feel special, and that's a very good thing.

We sat on the bench and waited nervously in the hall outside the emergency room. My stepmother was sitting on the bench while playing with her ring. Claire and Laura were talking in low voices, and I couldn't catch what they were saying. James crossed his arms over his chest and laid his head against the wall while waiting for the doctor. I buried my head on Karl's shoulder and fallen asleep.

After a few hours, a black American doctor came out of the emergency room approaching us with a smile plastered on his face. Everyone stood up, "how is he, doctor? Jenny and I said in unison and gaze at each other. Her concerned gaze on my face but I ignored it because I didn't trust her.

The doctor looked at James and placed his hand on James's shoulder before he squeezed it. He was standing close and looking tall next to me. He turned his gaze and looked down at me, "You are so lucky to have him when it occurred."

He tapped James's shoulder a few times. "The pulse rate and the blood pressure at stable levels." I nodded. "He needs to maintain a healthy weight with a heart-healthy diet, don't smoke, exercise regularly, manage stress and control conditions that can lead to heart attack." He was very helpful and explained everything in detail to us. "Mr Standeford has been sent to the private patient room of the hospital." He added.