Chapter 19

I looked outside my window, seeing nothing but featureless landscape of white snow everywhere. There were rows of cars down both sides of the street, bumper to bumper, muted, and almost half of the vehicle was buried in the snow. Two little boys were playing outside with toy trucks in the snow. It wasn't long before they were building a snowman.

"They're cute, huh?" Jake said. I turned to see he was stood behind me.

I made a low hum and nodded in agreement. "Hey do you want to build a snowman?" He asked, raising his brows. Then he sat bolt upright in bed and looked around.

Crossing my arms over my chest, I shook my head in disbelief. Why do I feel like I have heard that sentence before? It seems so familiar to me but I just couldn't remember it. I shrugged my shoulders and asked him what he was talking about. "You gotta be kidding me right? Us? Build a snowman? What will people say? Two crazy people play outside their house and forgot that they are too old to play such thing."

"What.." He said bluntly as he threw his hands up in the air.

"Don't what me!" It's cold outside. Can't you see that?" I rambled, pointing my finger at the window.

"Shushhh." He shushed me, putting his finger up his mouth. "You're no fun at all." He growled.

Jake pushed his fingers through his brown hair. "Fine." He stated flatly as he walked out of the bedroom, then briskly heads for his room. I stood on the same position, sighed, feeling guilty and like a terrible person for spoiling his mood. Did he mad at me?

A moment later, Jake passed my room and he's wearing a winter jacket and jeans. "Jake!" I popped my head out and called his name. My natural curiosity led me to ask questions. I paced slowly and yelled through the stairs. "Where are you going?"

He left without saying a word, stomping down the stairs and out the front door. I stepped out of the room to confront him, saying, "Jake, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings." I sighed, not knowing what to do. I knew he was upset but I wasn't sure what to do to fix it.

I stomped down the stairs and grabbed my coat from the hook. I opened the door and shut my mouth without saying anything when I caught my brother was building a snowman in his front yard.

"Are you gonna play that alone?" I snickered.

Jake paused for a moment and turned his gaze to me, then back to the incomplete snowman he had made before letting out a small giggle.

After I spoke, I set off a good pace to the front yard. The place was coated with snow like a white blanket. The snowflakes were falling sparingly and gently from the sky like ice cold white cotton balls falling slowly and silently to earth. They didn't melt instantly but stayed on my dark brown hair. I rubbed my hands together, trying to warm up my ice-cold fingers. I fished into my pocket for the gloves and wore it on my hands.

"You are so dead, Jake." I mumbled under my breath as I bend down and squashed a handful of snow into a ball of my own.

"Jake." I called his name to attract his attention.

He spun around to face me and growled in my face. "What do-" Immediately, I began to throw snow at him, ignoring how angry will he be. He brushed off the snow from his winter jacket with his gloved hands. "You!" Jake's face turned red with anger as he yelled at me.

I threw another wad of snow, this time hitting him in the face. He shook his head with a look of dismay, and brushed it off and glare at me. He said a little too loudly, "Amanda! I'm not going to spare you!"

My brother marched towards me as I stood in the far corner of the yard where I stood rigid as a pole. I slipped away as his hands flying out to catch me.

Rose stood at the front door of the house and was watching intently with a big smile on her face, and I let out a "A-ha!", stuck out my tongue at him.

I ran out onto the sidewalks of the road and Jake came running behind me. Risking a quick glance over my shoulder as I reached the corner, I saw Jake making snowball and ready to throw it. Suddenly I felt a wet and cold snowball being thrown at the back of my head. I spun around to see Jake smirking. I made a snowball and threw it at him, but he ducked.

After about five minutes of running, I accidentally hit a dead end and turned to see Jake was approaching me."There is nowhere to run." He laughed that deep full laugh that cleared out his lungs.

I noticed a difference in Jake's laugh as he scooped enough snow to make a bigger snowball than the previous snowball. He was about to throw the snowball when I held up my hands in an attitude of surrender.

Achoo!

Jake dropped the snowball from his hand and then strode forwards to grasp my shoulder. "I guess that's not a good sign." He said.

I nodded while rubbing the tip of my nose. "Yeah.."

Achoo!

"Oh no! you will catch a cold. Let's get back home." Jake said in a hoarse voice.

"It was fun though." I uttered as we ambled down the sidewalk at a slow pace.

"Hmm"

"Let's play again later."

"No"

"Why?" I looked up, got caught somewhere about chest height, then finally looked at his face.

"I don't want you to get sick."

"Urgh!" I snorted. "I won't." I assured.

"We will see then." Jake gritted his teeth and pursed his lip, he looked down at me and made a weak smile.

"You're no fun, Jake." I mimicked him.

As we came closer to my brother's house, we couldn't believe what we saw.

Author's Note:

Wow! There are so many silent readers, at least show some support. I am planning to finish this story before end of this year. Wish me luck k!