TGP Chapter 17: Persuasion

"This official wishes to plant phoenix trees in the front courtyard and welcome the phoenix carriage home."

Li Rong chuckled when she heard this. She opened the small golden fan in her hand to cover the lower half of her face, her eyes curved up with her laughter, "Bengong will wait for good news from Pei daren then."

Pei Wenxuan bowed his head and saluted Li Rong.

Li Rong folded up the small fan and walked out.

Once Li Rong was out beyond the doors, she saw many palace servants standing by, waiting to serve. Li Rong's expression turned cold, and she gave an order to a servant nearby, "Prepare a palanquin and head to the Eastern Palace."

Not long after Li Rong left, the Empress slowly returned to her senses. She momentarily touched up her appearance and raised her voice to call out: "Shan De."

Upon hearing the summon in the outer hall, Shan De hurried in and knelt before the Empress and said, "Niangniang."

The Empress sat on the golden chair and tiredly said: "Call Pei Wenxuan in."

Shan De was initially stunned to hear this, but then he quickly realized that the Empress should not have known that Pei Wenxuan was just outside the doors. Shan De didn't want to say too much and simply heeded the order with a quiet "yes"and turned towards the door and called out: "Summoning Pei Wenxuan in for an audience--"

Pei Wenxuan bowed to Shan De, then he proceeded to enter through the doors. The Empress was seated high above on a golden chair, holding her forehead. Seeing him walking in, the Empress brought her eyes up to quietly observe the young man in front of her.

Pei Wenxuan calmly entered the hall, knelt and bowed in ceremony. The Empress looked at him. After a while, she slowly began to say, "You were standing outside the hall just now?"

He would not have appeared before her eyes so quickly if he had yet to enter the palace gates.

Pei Wenxuan knelt on the ground and calmly responded: "Earlier, the Princess told this humble official to stand outside the hall and wait to be summoned by Her Majesty."

The Empress nodded. Shan De sensibly retreated to wait outside. The Empress straightened up and said in a low voice: "Then you must have also heard the conversation between me and the Princess."

Pei Wenxuan did not speak. The Empress knew that he had acknowledged the fact. She was silent for a moment before slowly continuing: "Your father passed away early, and none of the elders in the family are concerned with your future. You have nothing to gain in arbitrarily involving yourself in court affairs. Do not speak of what happened last night to anyone, and after you go back, I will give you another official position and arrange a suitable marriage for you. You will not have to worry about a thing."

Pei Wenxuan was silent. The Empress seemed to have a headache. She held her forehead and asked, "What are you still dissatisfied with?"

"This humble official thanks Your Majesty for sympathizing with this official's troubles and planning for this official's future, but there is something that this humble official does not understand."

"What would that be?"

"If this humble official retreats," Pei Wenxuan raised his head and met the Empress's gaze, "What will happen to Her Highness the Princess?"

"This is not something you need to worry about."

The Empress spoke in a cold voice. Pei Wenxuan looked at the Empress and calmly asked: "What if it is something this humble official wants to worry about?"