TGP Chapter 37.2: Late Night Conversation

“From today onwards, we will be best friends.”
___

“I…what am I afraid of?”

Li Rong was a little nervous after hearing Pei Wenxuan’s words.

She vaguely felt that what Pei Wenxuan said was correct, but at the same time, she felt like it was not quite right. She just felt that this conversation put her in an awkward spot, so embarrassing that she even had some regrets about inquiring about this matter.

But she wanted to hear more.

She wanted to know what kind of person she was in Pei Wenxuan’s eyes and what he thought of her.

“You’re afraid that it will be the same as before when it comes to him, afraid that his love for you in this life will be just like what it was in the previous life. Family meant more to him than you, and power meant more to him than you. Li Rong, you’ve always said that you understood Su Rongqing, you understood his choices and do not resent him for it, but if you never held it against him, then why did you choose to give up on him from the start?”

Li Rong just blankly sat there. Pei Wenxuan let out a laugh: “You still hold it against him. It was because he killed you and that led you to see that you and him are the same kind of people, but in your heart, you know that when it comes to someone who could abandon their feelings without the slightest hesitation for the clan, you would rather not have that kind of love at all. So, even though you understand that you have a chance to live again, and you understand how the fate of the Su family will change, you could have had countless opportunities to be with him and live a better life, but you had already chosen to give up from the very beginning.”

“So you’re saying all of this, but…” Li Rong smiled bitterly, “In the end, what is it that you want to say?”

“But Su Rongqing isn’t like that.” Pei Wenxuan’s words were wholeheartedly genuine, “You think he will certainly choose his family if it had to be his wife or his family, and you think think that he will not truly love anyone, but do you truly know who Su Rongqing is at the age of twenty? If he didn’t have you in his heart, if he was really as calm and detached like you said, and there was no place of importance for love in his life, then he would not have come that day at the waterside pavilion.”

“Before the wedding, I asked him…” Pei Wenxuan had somewhat of a smile on his face, “I asked who he would choose if there was a conflict between his wife and his family. He told me that his wife is also a member of the family, and he will choose to stand by reason. He’s not like what you thought, and he can give you the kind of love you yearn for.”

“He can give me that,” Li Rong felt a little helpless, “But why would I want it?”

“Because you want to live a happy life.” Pei Wenxuan looked into her eyes, “You can’t imagine living the same way you did in the previous life and living like that for the rest of your life now. You want His Highness the Crown Prince to have a bright future in the days to come. You want to have a perfect family, and you also want someone who loves you and who you love too. You want adoring children running around your knees, you want someone you can mutually rely on in old age and go down to the other world together, isn’t that right?”

Li Rong could not utter a single word. Pei Wenxuan took a deep breath: “You want all of this. He may have been the person you love most, and things could have gone well between you, so given the chance to start over, why not try to fight for it and give it a shot?”

“Don’t keep thinking that you’re too old. You’re just eighteen now, you’re in the best time of your life, so why do you want to close off all the possibilities? When Su Rongqing came to escort you today, didn’t you have thoughts of when there would be a day when the two of you get married, wouldn’t you be happy then?”