TGP Chapter 37.1: Late Night Conversation

“From today onwards, we will be best friends.”
___

Li Rong was semi-consciously asleep when she accidentally brought her hand up to rub her face. While in her half-awake and half-asleep, she suddenly remembered something that made her wake up with a start and sit up.

Not good. She had not taken her makeup off yet, and if she went to sleep like this, she would definitely get pimples on her face because of her clogged pores. This very thought frightened her awake in an instant. She regained her strength after just taking a short nap and was about to get out of bed when she noticed that there was someone sleeping beside her.

Li Rong was taken aback. She never thought that Pei Wenxuan would actually get on her bed. This was just how tired he was. Otherwise, with his upright temperament, he could be beaten to death but never do something so discourteous.

Pei Wenxuan was quite comfortable and sound asleep. The sound of each of his steady breaths made Li Rong slightly want to go back to sleep again, so she quickly smacked him and called out: “Pei Wenxuan!”

Pei Wenxuan suddenly sat up, startled as he shouted: “What is it?!”

Li Rong brought both hands up to cup his face and turned his face towards her, staring closely at him as she said: “We still haven’t washed up yet. There’s still clean water in the washroom, so hurry up and take a bath.”

Pei Wenxuan was stunned. A moment later, he sighed, a little helpless as he lamented: “Your Highness, it’s already this late. Can you not make a fuss?”

Li Rong had been eating well and sleeping soundly as of late, so a short nap was enough for her to recover her strength to do battle, but Pei Wenxuan had almost never managed to sleep well ever since he parted ways with Li Rong at the waterside pavilion a few days ago. He could finally take some worries off his mind today and get a good night’s rest. He only managed to sleep soundly for a bit before he was woken up, which was worse than not being able to sleep at all.

But how could Li Rong take that into consideration for him?

She just thought about how they had worn ceremonial attire for a whole day, and Pei Wenxuan himself even had makeup on today, so if it was not washed off, they would not only be sweaty all over but also get pimples on their faces. How could her countenance of a flower and face like the moon be ruined by such a thing?[1] Furthermore, Pei Wenxuan was also the person she wanted to look at every day. It would truly be a pity if that Immortal-like face was ruined by a few pimples.

[1] Countenance of a flower, face like the moon (common translation) — a woman’s stunning beauty is said to be as tender as a flower in bloom, her face clear and bright as the moon at night.

So she squeezed Pei Wenxuan’s face and stared fixated at him: “Pei Wenxuan, are you still a man?”

When Pei Wenxuan heard this, he knew that she was going to make a fuss about it. He covered his face with his hands in agony and let out an anguished wail as he turned to the side: “I am not, Your Highness, you can send me to the Palace tomorrow to be an eunuch, I just want to sleep…”

Before he could finish his sentence, he suddenly received a kick from Li Rong and rolled straight off the bed.

Pei Wenxuan was lying on the ground and clutching his blanket as Li Rong towered over him and looked down as she got off the bed. She lowered her head to give him a look and said: “Hurry up and go to the bathing room to wash up. If you haven’t washed up before I come back, don’t blame me for having dealt with you.”

Pei Wenxuan curled up on the ground after hearing this, huddling under the blanket in a rather aggrieved manner.

“Your Highness, the water is cold though.”