TGP Chapter 31.1: The Curtain Falls

“Why is it so difficult to marry a wife?”
___

Pei Wenxuan looked at Li Rong for a long time without saying anything. Li Rong couldn’t help but laugh: “You usually have a lot to say, so don’t you have a few things to say about it?”

Pei Wenxuan was holding the hu tablet with both hands, and his arms were naturally hanging in front of him. He lowered his head and let out a soft chuckle. Li Rong raised her eyebrows: “What are you laughing about?”

“Your Highness,” Pei Wenxuan smiled and looked at her, “You’re still very cute even after so many years.”

Li Rong was somewhat at a loss, but it was at that moment that the voice of an eunuch came from within the palace hall with an announcement: “Summoning Princess Ping Le and Pei Wenxuan into the hall——”

Hearing the summons, the two immediately straightened out their expressions. After exchanging a glance with one another, they entered the palace hall one after another.

Consort Ning and Yang Quan’s father, the head of the Yang family, Yang Lie, were kneeling on the ground up ahead in the palace hall. Li Ming sat on the high throne and watched as the two of them entered. Li Rong and Pei Wenxuan’s eyes did not wander as they came forward to kneel down beside Consort Ning and bowed to Li Ming.

“Ping Le,” Li Ming allowed the two of them to rise and calmly said, “Zhen previously let you preside over the Yang family’s case. How far did you get with the investigation?”

Li Rong didn’t dare to answer Li Ming’s question too thoroughly, in too much detail and too cleverly in fear that it would make Li Ming suspicious, so Li Rong smiled and lightly coughed: “Pei daren assisted erchen in handling matters related to the case, so he can speak about this. I cannot speak on it as well as he can, so have Pei daren speak.”

“Pei Wenxuan.”

“This humble official is here.”

Pei Wenxuan came forward. Li Ming saw the young court official emerging from the ranks and slowly said: “A few days ago, you were accused of murdering the wealthy merchant Tuoba Yan. This Tuoba Yan was recently turned out to be alive and went to Shuntian Prefecture to file a complaint, saying the Yang family sent someone to pursue and kill him. Were you aware of this?”

“Reporting to Your Majesty,” Pei Wenxuan respectfully said, “Please allow this humble official to make a detailed report.”

“Speak.”

“Two months ago, Princess Ping Le held a spring banquet at a mansion on the outskirts of the city. Yang Quan wanted to marry Her Highness the Princess, so he brought people to ambush the Princess on the way back to the palace, hoping to be the hero that saves the beauty and tricking the Princess. This humble official became aware of Yang Quan’s intentions on the way back, and conflict arose with Yang Quan as a result of saving the Princess. After that, we were rescued by His Highness the Crown Prince, and the Crown Prince brought this lowly one into the palace along with the Princess. This humble official was able to meet the Holy One, and Your Holiness had pity on this minister, who was still in a fright, and specifically sent people to escort this humble official back to the residence, but Yang Quan unexpectedly harbored a grudge since this humble official had sabotaged his plans. He was so bold as to even set up an ambush to assassinate this humble official on the road home. In a moment of desperation, this humble official’s hand slipped and accidentally killed Second Young Master Yang.”

“His Majesty learned that Yang Quan had acted so boldly and ordered Princess Ping Le to lead the investigation with this humble official’s assistance and Vice Minister’s Su supervision, joining hands to conduct a thorough investigation of the Yang clan. We heeded the order, and after this humble official registered the case for investigation, there was someone who secretly wrote a letter to us, exposing everything the Yang clan has been doing in the Northwest and saying that the Yang family has been colluding with the enemy and betraying the country over the last years.”