TGP Chapter 44.2: Regretful

“The only person I have ever truly loved and lost is Li Rong.”
____

After Li Ming gave the order, Fu Lai came to the Imperial Garden to deliver the results.

All the young ladies were waiting for the results, and seeing Fu Lai walk down the promenade from afar towards the center of the lake, everyone grew a bit anxious.

Fu Lai finally arrived at the waterside pavilion. He first saluted the Empress and Consort Rou, then he explained his purpose in coming: “The top three ladies have been chosen in the palace hall up ahead, and by His Majesty’s order, this old servant came to invite the three ladies to the main palace hall to receive their rewards.”

The Empress nodded, lifted her hand and said: “You may announce the winners.”

Fu Lai bowed, turned around to face the crowd and said: “Princess Ping Le, Miss Qin Zhenzhen, and Miss Shangguan Ya, please follow this old servant to the main hall to receive your reward.”

Upon hearing these words, Consort Rou’s face drastically changed, and Xiao Wei raised her head and looked up in disbelief. Shangguan Ya and Qin Zhenzhen both had a look of surprise on their faces. The Empress frowned, appearing rather uneasy as she asked: “Who was the first-place winner this time?”

“To answer Niangniang,” Fu Lai laughed, “It is Her Highness Princess Ping Le.”

The Empress looked up at Li Rong. Li Rong immediately revealed a look of surprise and happily asked: “It’s me?”

“Yes,” Fu Lai had many words of praise, “Your Highness’s skill in the art of incense is extraordinary, constantly receiving praises from everyone. Your Highness should quickly get up and go to the main hall to receive your reward.”

“Excellent,” Li Rong stood up with a delighted expression, “I haven’t received a reward in a long time. This was really fun.”

With that said, Li Rong turned to salute the Empress and said: “Mother Empress, I will go to Father Emperor to receive my reward.”

The Empress looked at Li Rong, unable to find the words to say for a while. She had to hold herself back for a moment before finally getting control over herself and saying: “Go on ahead.”

Li Rong saluted and withdrew, leading Shangguan Ya and Qin Zhenzhen away as they followed Fu Lai to the main palace hall.

Li Rong walked in front while Shangguan Ya and Qin Zhenzhen walked shoulder to shoulder. Shangguan Ya secretly poked Qin Zhenzhen and whispered: “You must have some pretty good incense-making techniques, huh?”

Qin Zhenzhen frowned. She lowered her voice and whispered back: “How could I? My incense burner was empty?”

“And that also won a prize?”

Shangguan Ya was in disbelief and began to think about the ulterior motives behind it. Li Rong was listening as she walked in front and pursed her lips with a small smile. She turned her head back and reminded Shangguan Ya: “Can you be certain that your name is the one written on your incense burner?”

Shangguan Ya immediately reacted and said in astonishment: “It was Xiao…”

Li Rong brought her hand up and gently placed a finger on her lips. Shangguan Ya tacitly understood and immediately expressed her understanding.

Hearing the three of them talk, Fu Lai walked further ahead to make it more convenient for them to speak freely. Li Rong took a few steps back and walked between the two of them, then she turned to Qin Zhenzhen beside her and asked: “Did you know that she switched out your incense burner?”