TGP Chapter 44.3: Regretful

“The only person I have ever truly loved and lost is Li Rong.”
____

Pei Wenxuan had just finished bidding others farewell when he turned around and saw Li Rong waiting for him at the doors, warming his heart a little. He walked over with a smile and stopped by Li Rong’s side. He assessed her from top to bottom before arching his eyebrows and asking: “Your Highness seems rather happy to have secured a great victory today?”

Li Rong bowed her head and smiled: “Pei daren also seems rather happy today.”

“If it weren’t for Your Highness bullying me, how could there be times when I’m not unhappy?”

As Pei Wenxuan walked back with Li Rong, he asked out of curiosity: “What did you all do in the Imperial Garden? Was there some fun and exciting event today?”

Li Rong told Pei Wenxuan all about what happened in the Imperial Garden, and the two of them spoke as they got into the carriage. Pei Wenxuan let out a regretful sigh: “The world of women has always been so astounding.”

“You can join as well.” Li Rong laughed.

Pei Wenxuan hurriedly waved it off with his hand: “Forget it, forget it. There’s no need. Only Your Excellency the Princess can handle this kind of situation.”

Li Rong softly chuckled and didn’t say anything else. She turned her head and looked out the window.

At the moment, they were already beyond the palace gates, and the bright moon was shining overhead beyond the window. She quietly gazed at the moon and slowly said: “The new moon will always become a full moon.[1] Pei Wenxuan, would you say that what is predestined has always been difficult to change?”

[1] Often extended to mean that people will inevitably meet again even after being separated.

Pei Wenxuan found it a little strange when Li Rong suddenly came up with such a question, so he couldn’t help but say: “What are you asking?”

“Today, I suddenly understood why Chuan’er came to like Qin Zhenzhen.”

Li Rong turned to look at Pei Wenxuan: “With Chuan’er’s personality, to meet someone like that in the palace, it’s hardly strange he came to like her.”

Pei Wenxuan said nothing. He looked into Li Rong’s eyes, and for a moment, he seemed to understand what she meant: “But why are you telling me this?”

“Have you thought about what you will do after the divorce?”

Li Rong looked at him curiously. Pei Wenxuan quietly looked back at Li Rong, feeling a sense of bitterness slowly rising, but the smile on his lips did not falter: “I haven’t thought much about it.”

“When Qin Zhenzhen died in the previous life, didn’t you have any regrets?”

Pei Wenxuan was silent. He only looked at Li Rong with a smile as Li Rong continued: “I know you hold her dear in your heart. In the previous life, when she departed early, you must have felt guilty towards her. You are the kind of person who has never thought of asking for anything in return from the person you like, but in this life, you should put in a bit more effort for her sake.”

“Put in a bit more effort and do what?”

Pei Wenxuan tucked his hands away into his sleeves and leaned against one of the carriage walls, listening as Li Rong calmly said: “She is now of marriageable age, and it will be about three years before you and I can smoothly get to where we need to be. If you don’t promise her now, I’m afraid she’ll already be married to someone else by then. I used to say it, mostly as a joke, but today, I’m speaking to you in all seriousness,” Li Rong looked up at him, “You should still do something.”