TGP Chapter 26.1: Imprisoned

“It’s been a long time, Eldest Brother Pei.”
____

Li Rong said nothing. She just quietly observed Su Rongqing.

Su Rongqing’s contemplative gaze was still on her. He had not said anything either.

After a while, Li Rong slowly spoke up: “I remember that the Su family has only ever been loyal to His Majesty.”

“Yes.” Su Rongqing calmly said, “And Rongqing is just Rongqing, not the Su family.”

Li Rong understood what Su Rongqing meant. She tapped her fingers on the small table. The clamoring voices on the streets outside occupied the silence. Su Rongqing quietly waited for Li Rong’s response.

“Why choose to side with the Crown Prince now?”

Li Rong spoke in an unhurried manner. Su Rongqing looked down and responded in a calm and steadfast voice: “His Majesty is aggressive now that he is in his prime, causing the people’s livelihood to be burdened with hardship in Great Xia. His Majesty currently favors powerful and influential ministers, adding to the people’s hardships. The Crown Prince is benevolent and advocates using morality to rule and stabilizing and restoring people’s livelihood after crises. Rongqing would like to see a world like this, so therefore, he wishes to follow Your Highness.”

“You can directly speak to the Crown Prince,” Li Rong held the cup of tea, “Why are you telling me these things?”

“The Crown Prince righteously wears his heart on his sleeve and cannot hide anything. At this time, it is not convenient for the Crown Prince to know where Rongqing stands.”

Li Rong fully understood.

Although Su Rongqing’s actions were his own, he was also a child of the Su family. If Li Ming knew that he had taken refuge under the Crown Prince’s wing, then Li Ming’s suspicions towards the Crown Prince would deepen.

He has now found an opportunity to make his stance clear to her. Later on, she would at least be able to use Su Rongqing when planning for Li Chuan’s future.

Li Rong did not say a word and only listened. Su Rongqing raised his head in confusion. He couldn’t help but call out, “Your Highness?”

“You don’t need to do this,” Li Rong recollected herself and flatly said, “The Su family has been righteous and loyal for generations. His Majesty trusts you all because of this unwavering loyalty. You don’t need to stand on any side and only need to do your duties well. If something happens to the Crown Prince one day, your safety can still be guaranteed. If the Crown Prince ascends the throne,” Li Rong looked at him and only said, “As long as you are managing your own affairs as you are now, and Bengong is still here, then the Su family will always be the Su family.”

Su Rongqing fell silent when he heard this and appeared to be thinking about something.

Li Rong saw that he seemed uneasy, so she placated him, “I don’t mean to refuse your goodwill with my words just now, but I think,” Li Rong hesitated for a moment before slowly saying, “Su gongzi is a refined gentleman and should not be tainted by these things.”

Although she and Su Rongqing only got to know each other after he had fallen into a desperate situation, the Su Rongqing she knew and had seen was a politically adept kind of person. However, she also recalled the gentle light lingering in his eyes when Su Rongqing talked to her about his youth.

She and Pei Wenxuan were already old when they came back. There was nothing that could be done about that, but looking at Su Rongqing in front of her, who was still in his youth, her heart could not hold back a kind of desire to protect him.