𝟘𝟚

𝒢𝑒𝑜𝓇𝑔𝑒 𝒫𝒪𝒱

The only thing I remember from that whole thing is that we're going on some observation trip to a few different companies in a few days? I don't know. The only reason why I actually remember that is because the whole class cheered, waking me from my nap. Seriously, we're in our mid-twenties and these people still get excited for field trips.

I numbly walk through the beautiful campus of my prestigious university. I never truly enjoy how amazing it is because every time I try, the amount of school debt I'm gonna owe rattles rent-free through my brain. Even with more than half my tuition paid with scholarships, it's still a hell of a lot of money. On top of that, the constant falling asleep in class isn't the greatest.

I opt to walk as I've got fifteen minutes to kill before six. I hope I catch Olivia at the end of her shift. I need someone to rant to and she's great at siding with people no matter if they're right or not. That's all I need at the moment.

Espresso Awakening's illuminated canopy sign comes into view, the sun slowly descending under the horizon. My shift is only four hours so it should go by fast. After that, all I have is advanced algorithms work and I'm free.

"George!" Olivia greets loudly. The few clusters of people collectively turn to look at me and I blush deeply, keeping my head down.

They go back to their business whilst I trudge through the employee gate to the counter. I shove her over, murmuring idiot as I pull on the navy apron, the shop's logo embroidered on my chest. Another reason why I love this place. I can actually see the color of the garment I have tied to my waist  more often than not. It doesn't seem that important, but to me that was the deal breaker for Starbucks.

As much as I love the iconic logo, the dark green looks like my piss when I'm really dehydrated. No need to be surrounded by it for hours.

"Where's Karl?" I ask, brewing some fresh coffee and watching it fill up the medium-sized cup. I really hope he didn't ditch. I bet being alone during a night shift is as boring as it is tiresome.

"He'll be back by the time your shift starts. He had to go on a quick grocery run for his roommate." She explains, sending an easy smile to the little girl walking up to the register. She calls out the order and I get to work.

No coffee this time. Milk sloshes against the sides of the blender and I scoop strawberry puree to accompany it. A scoop of ice plops in and several spoons of brown sugar sinks down to the bottom. I blend it and pour it fluidly into a tall cup, adding a nice layer of whipped cream and pink sprinkles for the kid.

We both watch her giggle, opening the lid and taking a big slurp of the whipped cream. She hurries out the door, the drink coating the tip of her nose. Olivia rests her elbow on my shoulder, cracking her back with a sigh of relief.

"So," She says suddenly, clapping her hands. "Karl told me something was up with you when you left. You looked that pissed apparently."

"Really? I don't believe I made it that obvious." I frown. Although, not really surprised I was emitting don't talk to me or I'll punch you vibes. I mix in some warm milk and flavor it with a few pumps of toffee syrup, taking a long sip.

"Mmhm. So spill." She leans up against the counter, keeping an eye on the door.

I cross my arms and rest against the opposite counter, chewing my lip before unloading everything on my chest that's been festering violently the entire day. "I accidentally bumped into this stupid fucking giant delivering to that record shop this morning and entiltled bastardness was practically flowing out of him."