𝟘𝟛

𝒟𝓇𝑒𝒶𝓂 𝒫𝒪𝒱

Liv almost swings the car door off its hinges opening it, sending me the mother of death glares over an extended middle finger.

"Hey, easy. It's brand fucking new." I turn the sound dial up on the radio to tune out my sister's inevitable whining. She closes the door as spitefully as she opened it and I stamp the gas in annoyance. She starts on her rant and I tune her out, instead focusing on the road with little interest.

"You haven't listened to a word I've said have you?" Liv glares at me and I glance over at her at the red light.

"What do you want from me," I bite back. Today is not the day I need my younger sister shitting on me too.

"I want you to tell me why the fuck you're being such a stupid dick!" She exclaims angrily, crossing her arms against her chest and falling back on the heated seat with a pout.

"Watch it," The warning is clear and she deflates just a little. "Just because I let you mouth off a little when Mom's not here doesn't mean you can say whatever you want."

She pays no mind to what I said, instead looking at me with furrowed eyebrows. I know that look. It's the oh-crap-something's-going-on-and-I-missed-it face. And I don't need it. "What happened today? What's wrong?" She asks, subduing her anger for the time being.

"Liv, just because I decided to make your friend pay up after insulting me more than once, after I gave him an out, doesn't mean something's wrong." I start to see frustration build up in her once again. "And besides, you shouldn't be friends with him anyway. He's got to be at least 21, you're still a kid. You're work partners, that's it."

"You can't dictate my life Dream." She hisses. "And plus, George was willing to help me with my homework on his first day of work, when he didn't even know me. He checks my chemistry stuff and explains physics and calc, everything you never have time to do anymore."

I feel my jaw slacken, detecting the waves of shock and regret that was seeping off her. She sniffs and looks up, blinking a few times before facing the window. Turning back to the wheel wordlessly, I force myself to relax my shoulders.

Cold prickles my skin, its frigid presence making its way down to the tips of my toes. Is that really how she's been feeling? Like I don't have time for her anymore? I've been working tirelessly for months on a new project idea that I've been waiting to pitch to the board. Looking back, I realize I haven't really been at home too much, and more often than not, I fall asleep in my office.

On top of that, Liv never liked to ask Mom or Dad for help because they always thought of her as perfect; being the top of her class all on her own and already forming into an independent woman.

I know they wouldn't mind helping her with homework, but in her mind, she would disappoint them. So I never pressed her. I would always sit with her and go over lectures she didn't get the first time through. Apparently, I lost my privileges of being that person.

"I'm sorry. That was dumb." She mumbles. A section of her honey-glossed curls is wrapped around her fingers as she works on a half-hearted braid. "I know that you've been really busy. I dunno, I miss you sometimes, that's all."

Contemplating my words, I grip the wheel and flick the indicator, turning off the main road. "I need to make time for you. It's gotten to a point where now you think I care more about my work than you. That's fucked up."

She takes a breath and exhales before visibly perking up. "Yeah, yeah, you suck and all that, I know. Stop sulking."

I smirk, rolling my eyes. "Says you," I mimic her pout, and she sticks her tongue out. Liv laughs at me as I almost miss the turn, and I swear while turning sharply into our neighborhood. We're let through the gate and I drive up all the way to the end of the road, turning into our driveway.