1. Freezey's

DURING THAT SUMMER

Maxwell's POV

High school ended just a few days ago. Finally, after 12 long grueling years, school is over. That is, until college comes.

During this month's hot summer day, I pondered how much longer my life will have to retain the cycle of attending classes. Surely life is more than attending lectures, right? If there is, I've yet to find it.

I am all alone in our small town. Pretty much everyone left after graduation to move to their new colleges. I said goodbye too many times. All my friends are gone, living their new lives while I'm stuck here. I really have nothing to do. I wanted to hang out with my friends this summer before everything changes. But those plans were cut short.

You're probably wondering what am I still doing here? Well, I'm scared. The idea that I'll be leaving everything behind and going to a new city with new people and new experiences scared the living crap out of me. So I'm staying here during the summer. I should probably move so I can become adjusted to the new city.

"Max, why don't you go out today?" My mom said, I groaned and stuffed my face onto my pillow.

"Ughhh, why mom? There's nothing to do! All my friends are gone! And it's hot!!" I said.

"It'll be nice for you to go outside. You can't stay in here all summer. Please?" Mom pleaded. Gosh! She always knows how to make me feel bad.

"Fine! At least give me money." I said. Mom giggled to herself and handed me $50. Not bad.

I fixed myself in the mirror, styling my brown curls. My tan skin was matched with small freckles that littered my face. I had no idea why I was fixing myself so well. I don't even put this much effort when going to Sunday church.

"Bye mom!" I screamed. I ran outside and got on my bike. The heat burned my ass a bit. I hopped on and began riding down the dirt path. The pebbles shook my bike.

Pastel fields of wheat bristled in the cool summer breeze. Among the fields of gold was the occasional hut, containing people who like me are questioning the immense size of the earth and the opportunities we may never get to have.

I rode my bike into the small town center. I drove past families who were out on the town.

"Hey Max!" Mr. Erikson said to me as I drove past his flower shop. He was a really nice man.

I stopped in front of the ice cream parlor that our town has. There's a few here but this, Freezey's, is my favorite. I especially love their hazelnut ice cream. It's nutty, it's creamy, it's perfect!

I parked my bike on the bike racks and entered the cold store. A small ring resounded from the entrance through the parlor.

The store was neatly organized. It reminded me of a 1950's diner. There was another family here. Their giggles filled my heart.

"Maxwell. How are you today?" Richard asked me. He went to the same school as me and graduated a year earlier. He works at the parlor since his father owns it. It means I get discounts since we're kinda close.

"Pretty good. Mom forced me to go outside today." I said.

"When are you moving to college?" He asked.

"Mmm, probably in August, before school starts." I said. I ordered my favorite, hazelnut. God this is amazing!

After paying my half-off price, I sat next to the window with the cup in hand. I ate my ice cream and scrolled through my phone. I checked my friends' Instagram stories and saw some of them on the beach or in cafes with people I've never seen.

The bell rang, signifying that someone entered. I was faced away from the door so I couldn't see who it was.

"Yo! Bryce! How you been?" Richard said to whoever walked in.

"Doin' good. Just being here and there." The customer said. I couldn't help but feel like I knew his voice. Do I know a Bryce?

"What will you be having, captain?" Richard's voice said. Captain?

"Lemme get hazelnut." He said. I don't know who this Bryce guy is, but he sure has good taste.

"Here you go. Half-off for our champion!" Rich said. I wanted to turn around but I didn't want to seem nosy. It was quiet until I heard footsteps get closer to me.

"Maxwell?" Bryce said. I looked up.

"Oh fuck!" I said. It was Bryce Madden.

 It was Bryce Madden

------

first chapter. i'm not ready for this story.

today i had an oral board. if i failed, this story would have not been posted. if i passed, this story would be posted. i'm sure you can guess which one happened.

bye! i love you all!