24. Finale

Maxwell's POV

Maxwell's POV

When I saw Bryce in the same room as me, my mind panicked. I began to get up and reach for the exit when Bryce called out for me.

The way he said my voice almost sounded foreign. Almost like he hasn't said it in years and now hurts when he says it.

"Max." My name came from his lips. I turned to look at him. He was crying. He was vulnerable in front of me.

"Max?" He said again. I almost wanted to reach out and stroke his hair like I used to do. Instead, I was reminded of what he did. And then anger fueled me.

"What?!" I spat out. Bryce jolted back at my harsh tone.

"Can we talk?" Bryce asked. Seriously? Now he wants to talk. He had two years! TWO YEARS! And then four years after that. I haven't said a word to this man for so long. And everyday I try to forget him.

But it's impossible to forget someone you love.

"I'd rather not." I said. I turned and reached for the door. Bryce's body soon blocked the door. His large hands held my wrist in place. I wanted to punch him and tell him to get away. But I missed his touch.

"Please, Max." His voice broke. "Please." He pleaded.

"Fine." I said. Neither of us moved. We just wanted to stay in this position. I turned away so I didn't meet his eyes. I wanted to cry, but my emotions at this point were null. I cried so much for this man, he doesn't deserve these tears.

"I-" Bryce said. He sniffled.

Then, he turned my head and kissed me.

I slapped him but his lips never left. Our faces were once again back. He let out tears which fell onto my face.

Just like I remembered.

"I still love you, Max. I think I always will." Bryce said softly when we pulled apart. I simply shook my head.

"No, you don't, Bryce. If you loved me, you wouldn't have thrown me away so easily." I said. I didn't care if I cried now.

"But I do! No one will ever be as good as you! You made me feel like I was worth something! I was so stupid for leaving you!" Bryce said. He was full blown crying.

"You are stupid." I said with a hint of anger in my voice.

"I'm sorry Max." He said. He got on his knees and looked up at me with tears in his eyes. "I'm so sorry." He cried out.

"I have to go." I said.

"Wait!" He said. I looked into his eyes that captivated me for so long. There was that look again. The one that showed he actually loves me. "Can I get one more kiss?" He said, a longing look in his eyes.

"No, Bryce." I said. "If I kiss you, it'll make me want more. And I know I can't have you." I leaned my head down. Bryce got up and stood in front of me. I pulled his face down and kissed him on the cheek.

"Max..." He tried pleading.

"Goodbye, Bryce. I love you. And I always will." I said. I exited the room, leaving Bryce and my love behind.

I met up with my "boyfriend" whom I am just hooking up with. After sitting and being reminded of Bryce, I just wanted to leave.

"Let's go home. I'm not feeling well." I said to Nate. We began to exit when there were loud cheers from the center of the room.

I turned and saw Bryce, on one knee, holding out a ring to his girlfriend.

'Will you marry me?' I read his lips. The woman nodded and they hugged and the whole room cheered.

And all I could do was watch.

Watch as the love of my life becomes engaged to someone else. Someone who isn't me.

"Babe. Let's go." Nate said.

I was halfway out the door when I felt the need to turn around.

'Don't turn around' my mind told me. But I did.

I turned and saw Bryce looking at me with sad eyes. Everyone behind him was cheering except him. Surrounded by all this wealth and luxury and now a fiancee, but can't even find happiness.

"I love you." He mouthed to me as a tear ran down his face.

"I love you too." I muttered back.

"Max!" Nate called out.

A final look, I gave a small smile to Bryce. Probably the last one.

Bryce returned the smile.

And with that, I walked out of the house to a lonely future. A future where I still love Bryce.

THE END

------

it's the end. this story is over.

i'm sorry for the ending.

but...

i have ideas of making more chapters in the future following their trip to get back together. i'll do it if enough people want me to. and i'll add chapters that explains what happened after that first summer...

but for now, this story is over.

thank you so much for reading this story. please let me know how it was! i'll really appreciate it!

bye! i love you all so much!!!