19. Club House

Maxwell’s POV

Maxwell’s POV

I held onto Bryce’s hand and led him down the bleachers and underneath them. I walked further into the under area. The only light penetrating here was through the seats of the bleachers, casting horizontal glows all throughout. 

“It’s here!” I said. I ran over to the barely lit up space and turned on the oil lamp that surprisingly still worked. 

The light showed off the milk crates turned over used as stools. A bigger crate sat in the middle with a cloth over it and cards in the middle from a previous game. The wood of the crate was starting to weather and the patches of dirt that marked our past had grown to match the grass. It’s like we were never here.

“Welcome to the Club House!” I signaled to Bryce who was just standing looking at everything.

“Club House?” He asked.

“‘Kay. So. How do I say this without sounding offensive?” I said to myself. “Sometimes, the football games, and PE, would get boring. So my friends and I would sneak off and come under here!”

“Wait, how was I boring-” 

“And soon it just became tradition for us to come here. Oh look!” I reached under the huge crate and pulled out the old radio. “Wonder if it still works?” I said. I tweaked with the radio and it turned on.

Bryce sat on one of the crates, leaning his back against the steel pole. He crossed his arms on his chest. “I can see why you like this place.” He sighed in relief. I sat the radio on the crate in the middle and ‘10K Summer Nights’ by Eighty Ninety played.

I turned to look at Bryce. His eyes were closed as he inhaled the summer night breeze. To think that three weeks ago we were just friends hanging out. Now, we’re dating. 

“Mind if I?” I asked, pointing to his thigh.

“Not at all.” He said. He adjusted himself. I laid my head on his thigh. Bryce started to stroke my hair, twisting my brown curls between his fingers. Then he also massaged my scalp.

“Mmm,” I moaned. “That feels nice.” I said.

“I fucking love thouching your hair.” Bryce said. I chuckled.

“Yeah? Well I like touching your strong arms.” I replied. 

“When do you have to move to California?” He asked. I kinda froze at that question. Bryce and I haven’t talked about college, or anything after summer. It’s almost like this summer is a giant fever dream that neither of us wants to wake up from.

And that’s when panic set in. Is this going to be the only time I can be with Bryce? Will we never see each other after this? Will Bryce just dump me and forget anything happened while I live on? 

No, he wouldn’t do that. I can only hope for optimism.

“Sometime during the beginning of August. You? When do you have to go to Ohio?” I asked.

“Also during the start of August.” He replied.

“I’m scared for uni.” I said. My chest began to hurt just from thinking of living in a new place. Surrounded by new people. And experiencing new things.

“Me too, actually. I guess it’s just a part of life, ya know? Doing new things and going outside your comfort zone.” Bryce said. He continued to play with my hair, which relaxed my nerves. 

“Kinda like this summer, us dating.” I replied.

“Yeah! Exactly. I never imagined myself dating a guy.” Bryce said. I got my head off his lap and sat up to meet his face. He had a small blush on his face that made him look so adorable.

I leaned in and kissed him.

“I never imagined myself dating Bryce Madden.” I said.

“I know we shouldn’t talk about it yet, but what’s gonna happen when school starts?” Bryce said. I stared into his brown eyes.

“I-I don’t know. I just hope it doesn’t go down in flames.” I said.

“I guarantee you it wont.” Bryce hugged me close to him.

” Bryce hugged me close to him

------

eighty ninety is lowkey one of my favorite bands. they make such good music. '10K Summer Nights' completely invokes the vibe of this story. and if you listen to the lyrics, it's basically the whole story!!!

this chapter is uploaded to dedicate it to the end of my other story 'All American Boy Next Door'. i've had it going for so long! if you haven't checked it out, i recommend you do now that it's done!

bye! i love you all!

<3