4. It's The Universe!

Bryce’s POV

Bryce’s POV

I watched on as the sun began setting. The warm summer breeze blew through us.

“We’ve got a few minutes to spare. You should take a nap.” Max said to me. 

“Alright. But I better not wake up dead.” I smiled.

“You can’t wake up dead, but okay I guess.” He responded. I laid back, crossing my arms behind my head. Soon, sleep took over me. 

I was exhausted after a long day. I waited constantly until the time came to meet Max. He’s really adamant on making me see the good things in this town. But along the way, I hope Max gets to show how good he is.

I was shaken awake by a soft hand on my bicep. 

“Bryce! Look, it’s the universe!” He happily said. I groaned slightly but then opened my eyes. 

I am indeed not dead.

But that’s not what caught my attention. Instead, it was what lied ahead of me. Just reaching past the heavens.

“Wow… is that…”

“Yep, it’s the Milky Way!” He said. I propped myself onto my elbows, laughing. It’s amazing. Out here, the stars shine brighter than ever before. Millions littered the sky in a parade of glimmer.

“How’d you find this place?” I said, still in awe at the sky.

“Well, my friends and I like to travel outside of town sometimes.” He said. I turned to look at him. He had a huge smile on his face. Like as if the world will never hurt him.

“Whenever I’m upset or feeling down or want to be happy, I think of the universe.” He added.

I smiled at that. Even Max has something to make him feel better.

“You should smile more.” I said, looking deep into Max’s eyes.

“So should you.” He responded.

“I guess we both smile the brightest together.” I said.

“Look! A shooting star!” He exclaimed which pulled my undivided attention away from him. It was indeed a shooting star.

“Quick, make a wish!” I said. 

‘I wish to find someone who can be my universe.’ 

After my wish, I laid back onto the blanket. My eyes drifted from Max to the sky, like as if they’re the same thing. Maybe they could be?

“What ever happened between you and Pacifica?” He asked, also laying down.

“Oh, her...” I frowned at the mention of my ex-girlfriend.

“It didn’t work out. Turns out she wanted me to go to college in California. I refused and she broke it off.” I said.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” He said, sounding sympathetic.

“Don’t be. We weren't compatible. So it works out.” I said. A smile spread on Max’s face.

Within this parallel of a new universe, everything disappeared. Miles of plains extended in every direction with no sight of civilization. Just me, Max, and the stars.

After a few hours, it was getting too late. 

“We should go. It’s getting late.” He said.

“But it’s so beautiful. Can’t we just stay here?” I said, not wanting to leave.

“Maybe in the future. The universe won’t disappear.” He chuckled. I obliged and stood up as we fixed the blankets and folded them. 

Riding back was still surreal. The stars illuminated above us. Our laughter fills the void space.

“Let’s hang out tomorrow. No expedition. Just the two of us.” I said.

“Deal. I need time to figure out the next place.” He said. 

I hugged him and thanked him in my head for this amazing time. 

“I’ll see you tomorrow!” He waved

“You too.” I said while wishing tomorrow was right now.

” I said while wishing tomorrow was right now

------

y'all, i'm graduating with honors! so excited!

anyways... can't believe it's been 12 years. i'm exhausted and it is DEFINITELY not worth it.

bye! i love you all!