10. Just Be Friends

Bryce’s POV

Bryce’s POV

“Real it back! So you managed to not only make Ms. Chavez to have a mental breakdown, but she also QUIT because of you and your band of hooligans?!” Max said into the phone. I kinda blushed behind the phone.

“Well, it wasn’t my fault. Derek was the one who threw the hamster! I was an innocent bystander!” I pleaded. But my plea was also mixed with laughter at that old memory.

“INNOCENT!? BYSTANDER!? You’re the one who let Nibbles out of her cage!” Max scream-whispered into the phone. I couldn’t help but laugh at him.

“To be fair, Nibbles only had a few days left to live.” I said.

“SHE WAS PREGNANT, YOU ASS!” He screamed softly.

“Oh, whoops.” I said. “Anyways, I guess Ms. Chavez was so upset and distraught by what we did she quit on sight.”

“That’s not funny! I’m serious! She was super nice. I don’t even know why you hung out with Derek, Archie, and Isaiah. They were assholes!” Max said.

“Yeah. I see that now. I guess I only hung out with them cause they looked up to me.” I said.

“Looked up to you? Nah, ma dude. They followed you like dogs. You say jump, they say how high. The three of them shared one brain cell and a half!” Max sounded angry.

“Gee, what did they do to you?” I nervously laughed.

“Oh, um, I don’t know? Maybe they were the ones who locked me in the janitor’s closet after telling me they bought me a birthday cake?” He spoke. An awkward silence fell through the connection.

“I had no idea. I’m sorry they did that.” I said. To be honest, I was aware of some of the trio’s actions but never knew Max was at the receiving end of one.

“Don’t apologize for them. They did a lot more to me.” He said softly.

“If it makes you feel better, they didn’t graduate and were sent to an academy far away.” I said.

“That does make me feel better.” I can sense the smile on his face. “Anyways, the next expedition is tomorrow.”

“I’m not gonna get enough sleep.” I said.

“So go to sleep.” He said.

“I’m not tired.” I yawned soon afterwards.

“Mmhmm.”

“MAXWELL ALEXANDER KNOX REDDING! IF YOU DON’T GET YOUR ASS TO SLEEP RIGHT NOW!” A voice screamed through Max’s phone.

“Crap! My mom just yelled at me. I gotta go!” He whispered.

“I understand. Go to bed! I’ll see you tomorrow, or later, since it’s 3:00 am right now.” 

“Alright. Sweet dreams, Bryce.”

“Good night, Max.” I said. He hung up. I stared at the screen for a while as if I waited for him to call me back. 

Is it wrong that I wanted to continue to talk to him more? I felt like our conversation only lasted minutes. But in reality, it was hours. 

We shared some fond memories. We shared a lot of the same memories. We were at the same place. It just so happened we didn’t know each other then. What would’ve happened if I talked to him then. What if instead of hanging out with idiots, I hung out with Max and his group of idiots?

The day at the arcade was one of the most fondest memories I have. I can’t even remember what I ate for lunch today. But I sure as hell can remember that the buttons on the Mortal Combat game were red and mustard yellow.

Mustard.

I laughed silently at that image. A clueless Max rubbing mustard on his face. And then me rubbing it off. The image stopped when the details of Max’s face became more… interesting. It was like my brain was suddenly rewired. Recently, my brain has been acting stupid. 

I’m slowly seeing Max in a new light. He’s amazing, yes. But I would never date him. I’m not gay! I can’t be. My football career would be ruined if I was gay. 

I guess I can just focus my mind on making sure Max doesn’t infiltrate my brain too much. Just be friends, that’s it!

 Just be friends, that’s it!

------

:}

bye! i love you all!

<3