Chapter XXXVII

He could no longer identify himself. He didn't know; had never felt like such... such an emotional mess before.

Was it because he terribly missed an assuasive presence in his life for a long time after his parents? That now when she entered his dreadfully barren world, he found himself welcoming her with both his arms wide open.

She came into his life like the unexpected drizzles on a bright sunny day and left him drenched in herself. The little imp... his enchanting imp was making him feel things he'd never felt before. Driving him to do things, he'd never dared do before.

She was a rangrasiya and he was being painted in her colors.

The colors, so warm and vibrant suffusing a new meaning of life in his ruined world. She slipped her hand in his when nobody was willing to even spare a glance at his true self.

And he was... afraid. So afraid of this new profound feeling, that saturated a sense of belonging in his deserted life. Thinking that he was not worthy of such a privilege, Eklavya had tried to remain aloof, kept his distance, and deliberately said hurtful words to her.

Words that he didn't mean.

But what was he to do? It was all too sudden and surreal for him. People who see from the outside think him to be made of stone, a heartless person full of arrogance and high on ego. They never bothered to think about what he was on the inside.

They fail in realizing that he too was a carefree boy just about four years back. But life happens and you've to make a choice whether to become a puppet of this cruel and selfish world or to make this world dance on your fingers.

And Eklavya chose what was best for his brother and him.

He decided that it was better to make the world dance to his tunes rather than to become soulless puppets to this selfish world, who will not hesitate before trampling all over you to fulfill their unjust motives upon not seeing the hand of their parents on their heads.

Eklavya had long before learned that for this world to fear you, you've to have power in your hands. An unfortunate incident in the past that had made him completely loathe his aunt was the root of all this. You've to wield a power so strong that the person opposite to you would be forced to kneel and surrender on his own.

That was the only way for two orphan brothers could survive in this materialistic realm.

But power doesn't come easily. You've to work till your backbone hurts, your eyes strain, and your head starts spinning. Day and night all he could ever think was how to reach that formidable power that could ensure their survival.

In all this, he never realized how and when she paved a way into his heart. Making it her home.

Eklavya had finally found the solution to his dilemma. The questions he had regarding his feelings for her were today being answered.

And they all echoed the same thing over and over again.

He held great affections for her.

He fancied her.

He enjoyed her company.

He found her adorable.

He felt an absolutely insane urge to cherish her.

He longed for her when she was not beside him.

He craved for a simple brush of her fingers against his.

There, he admitted it.

She filled the void that was like a thorn into his very existence. A thorn that never ceased to throb with unbearable pain, making a mockery of his overturned world.