10 - Screaming

I stared at the shimmering grey wall as if I was in a trance. The swirling mesmerized me, my eyes wouldn't move away. I wanted to reach out and touch it, but it was only 4:50. I can't believe I actually wanted it to be five o'clock. When that time came we were going to be walking into the tunnel to heaven.

"Just so you know," I spoke. "I really, really, hate you all."

"Love you too, Anne," Sonya scoffed.

I smiled at her response and continued to watch the Flat Trans. All of us agreed that we would go through. Not only because Rat Man said we would get killed if we didn't, but because we wanted to stick together. We had a better chance of making it through Phase Two in numbers.

4:55

Girls were tapping their feet, pacing, and cracking their knuckles because they were so nervous. I on the other hand was ready to go. More adrenaline was pumping through my body as the time dwindled down.

4:57

Beyond that wall could either be freedom or enslavement. Right now I was eager to take that risk. If it meant I could kick WICKED in the ass, that's what I was going to do. No matter what I had to go through.

4:59

"You ready?" Harriet asked us.

"Hell yeah I am," I answered.

"Glad you are, because I'm not," Mary said, her voice shaking.

5:00

I smirked before bolting forward. When I shot through I ended up landing on my knees with a hard thump. I got to my feet and waited.

Soon, other girls followed right behind me. A look of bewilderment was etched into their faces as their eyes darted around. I had to admit, this was pretty amazing. We were in a totally different place then before. Below my feet was a concrete floor, surrounding us were concrete walls. Above my head were hanging fluorescent lights that flickered every few seconds.

"Everyone's in here," Harriet announced when she stepped through. "I was the last one."

I nodded while looking down the tunnel. It seemed to go on and on. This was going to require lots of walking.

I sighed, "Then let's get going ladies."

After about an hour we stopped to eat, Sonya figured we'd need the energy. But when we walked a little further we came upon weapons hanging from hooks on the wall. Bows and arrows, spears, machetes, knives, you name it.

I grabbed a machete, but as soon as I touched it images flashed through my head like a slideshow. I saw a boy with dark hair, green eyes, and a menacing grin. I saw blood and fire. It was terrifying.

When I saw movement it snapped me out of the short daze. I gripped the blade tightly in my hands before moving forward.

Why was I getting all of these visions? How determined was WICKED to make me go crazy? No one else was getting these, that meant I was special in some way. Thinking that made me sick to my stomach. The dream I had where I worked for WICKED would fit into this situation perfectly. Maybe I wanted these things to only happen to me. My head was going crazy with different possibilities. I didn't want to believe these visions were true, but if I don't consider that they are, then I could go down in flames.

"We're here," Teresa all of a sudden blurted out.

I turned my head to left to find a staircase made of metal. Next to it was a large screen that showed a room. I assumed that was where she was going.

"I have to give that monster false security," Teresa told us. "I have to act like I actually want to see him."

"Who are you talking about?" a girl asked.

"Thomas. I'm talking about Thomas. The boy who ruined my life. I have to go up those stairs to pretend that he's still my friend."

What could this Thomas have done that was so bad? She talks like he's Hitlers son or something. But I guess it doesn't matter because we're going to kill him anyway.

Teresa began to ascend the stairs after she dropped all of her supplies onto the ground. We saw her enter the room then walk to a door and exit.

"What is she doing?" I questioned. "Is she trying to escape or something?"

"We just have to trust her," Harriet said.

Suddenly there came a high pitched scream from above us.

"What the hell is she doing now? She sounds like a dying cat," I complained.

Harriet shrugged.

This girl was full of surprises. I gotta say she never ceases to amaze me in the worst ways. If I only I could tell her to shut up because I definitely would.

"Trust me."

I fell into the wall, my back smashing into the concrete.

"Everything I do is for a purpose."

Teresa was talking to me. She was talking to me inside my mind. This wasn't possible, it was just another thing to burden me with.

"You're not crazy, Anne. This is real, so you're going to have to stop being so stubborn and start believing."

I slid down the wall while covering my ears. "Stop! This can't be happening! None of this is real!" I said hysterically. "Get out of my head!"

"I'm so sorry, Anne."

I sat on the ground with my eyes opened wide. I heard people trying to talk to me, but I couldn't move.

"What's wrong with me?" I whispered.

🕔🔪🕔🔪🕔🔪🕔🔪🕔🔪🕔🔪🕔🔪🕔

Heavy metal broke my *dun dun* HEART

•Don't forget to Comment and Vote!•