20 - Fall

"Now!" Minho shouted. "Charge them!"

I rushed forward, swiping my machete from side to side. The monster stepped back a couple of times, but eventually it got into a fighting stance. It began to fight back by trying to jab me. I dodged each of the creatures attacks effortlessly.

I stabbed the thing in the stomach, striking a bulb. It exploded into a flurry of bright sparks. The creature stopped for a moment, surprised at what happened, but it quickly charged at me once again. It's face was so grotesque it made me want to throw up on the spot. That's why I decided to aim at its noseless flesh. The monster became injured and slower, however, it wasn't dead.

Looking around, I saw Teresa hitting the bulb thing with the butt of her spear. Thomas was jabbing it with his sword, and Minho was slashing it with the knives he held in both hands. I noticed a couple of people lay on the ground covered in wounds and absolutely lifeless. One was a boy. The other one was a girl, Izzy. Although she was a total bitch, she didn't deserve to die this way. I could only hope that she went down swinging.

I felt a sharp pain in my forearm which brought me back into the fight. Blood ran down my skin and dripped onto the dry ground. I angrily stabbed the monster again, hitting another orange lightbulb. That's when it came to my attention that when I broke a bulb, the thing became more and more injured. When I destroyed a few more, it let out a monstrous groan, much like the Grievers.

Out of nowhere I was tackled to the ground from the side. A different monster from the one I was fighting decided to create a dogpile with me. It cut my hip, but before it could do any real damage Thomas kicked the creature off of me. I scrambled backwards just as a bright flash appeared and struck the ground. It caused me to cover my eyes and Thomas to fall flat on his stomach.

It started to rain as lightning flashed all around me. My off white t-shirt was getting completely soaked and the blood on my arm was washing away.

Thomas lifted me up and I thanked him with a slight nod. Both of our foes were dead, but our fight was not over. The storm was getting very bad so we had to come up with a plan very quickly.

"Thomas!" I yelled. "We need to get out of here!"

"I know!" he responded, looking around frantically.

When I got an idea, I immediately told him. "The pods! We need to get inside of them!"

"What if they don't close?!"

"It's better then being struck by lightning out here, now come on!"

"We need to tell the others!"

"They're smart, they'll figure it out!"

We began to run, the rain beating on my skin. Lightning fell from the sky, creating a loud, ear piercing noise. Multiple spots on the desert floor were charred black and smelt burnt. The sky was dark with grey clouds, but it would light up now and then from the flashes of electricity. It was almost like a dream, a nightmare. This all seemed too horrible for any human being to endure. Especially a group of kids.

Thomas grabbed Teresa's hand as we ran. She seemed to know exactly what we were doing. Probably because of her stupid mind powers that I seem to have too, which I still don't fully understand. Both of them scrambled inside the pod and Thomas held out his hand for me. I was just about to grab it when I heard a cry of pain behind me. I whipped around to find Harriet on her back and the bulb monster looming over her.

"What are you doing, Anne?!" Thomas shouted. "You have to get inside!"

"I have to help her! No one else has to die!"