Chapter 4

They didn’t touch me whatsoever. I wanted comfort, oddly. I felt so deprived of the hugs and holding when I was upset. I wanted it. And I knew if I asked, they would comfort me. Maybe it was weird for two men, strangers, to comfort me but I didn’t think about it in that way or the wrong way. I thought of it as they were willing to put up with my shit, especially my fighting self. I’m sure they would have backed out by now if they knew how much trouble I had caused in one day. My attitude and tone went volumes in seconds.

“My name’s Lillian Inessa,” I started. “And I love sunflowers.”

There was a chuckle beside me and hazel eyes was the on who spoke first, “Aimilios.”

“What about the word Aimilios?” I was absolutely confused.

“It’s my name,” he replied.

“Sorry.” I frowned deeper.

“What for?”

“I hadn’t meant to be rude.”

“You hadn’t,” he answered.

I nodded and looked over at the man who had the piercing blue eyes. “Okay.”

“My name is Milo,” he paused, a smile taking over his face. “And I love chocolate.” I gave him a small smile back, trying to be somewhat nicer.

It had gone quiet after a while. My eyes fluttered. I started having difficulties keeping my eyes open. I almost dozed off multiple times. I felt a hand cradle my head. I opened my eyes to see Aimilios slowly leaning me against Milos’ shoulder. I closed my eyes again. Hands caressed my cheek and face. I got more comfortable and then I fell asleep.

I felt the car stop and woke up. I yawned, covering my mouth before stretching. I hit something. I opened my eyes wide to see that I had hit Milo.

“I’m so sorry,” I apologized quickly.

He smiled. “It’s alright.” I didn’t understand how someone could smile as much as he could. “Did you have a good nap?”

“Yeah,” I nodded, resting my head on Amilios’ shoulder. I fought the urge to stretch. I cracked my knuckles and they both looked at me. “What? Is there something wrong with me?” I had never felt self conscious in my life until now.

“No, you’re just different,” Amilios replied.

“A bad difference though? I know I’m not like other girls. I bottle every emotion up except my anger,” I pointed out my flaws.

“Yes, you are like a man in a way. Just more blunt and you speak your mind,” he said.

“I sometimes think my father wished I was a boy.” I looked at the black wall in front of us. It was there so the driver couldn’t hear our conversations which I was comforted by.

“I understand,” Milos said quietly. He grabbed my hand and looked at the bandages. “You should have seen the doctor before we left,” he frowned.

“I’m okay.”

“No, he’s right. You could get an infection.” Amilios grabbed my other hand. My thoughts interrupted me with the image of him grabbing my neck again. I swallowed hard, trying not to think about it but it was already too late.