13. | Peace and Calm

I park in the driveway of the Shiovani Resident

I park in the driveway of the Shiovani Resident. I turn off the car and climb out. I don't bother checking to see if Killian's behind me. I walk straight to the door.

"Evelyn, calm down." Angel says, walking behind me. She manages to match my long strides somehow.

"He kidnapped my family. I'm not going to calm down." I respond.

"Think about this, Evelyn!" She yells, standing in front of me. I press my phone to my ear so I don't look like a fool. "I get it. You're angry—"

"Angry doesn't even begin to describe how I feel. He just gave me an even bigger reason to hate him." I walk around her, to the door. I walk right in, the door unlocked.

"Miss Marshall." I look up at the voice, the same man I saw in the office and on the screen leaning against the railing of the upstairs. "Glad you could make it." He gives me a subtle smile.

I send him a curt nod as Killian walks in behind me. I walk straight to the stairs and I take them, two at a time.

"Grace." Killian calls. I walk down the hall, but Killian catches me. He pulls me into whatever room is closest and shuts the door behind him. "What's going on with you?"

"If you want to find your family, you can't give yourself away. Calm. Down." Angel demands. I bite the inside of my cheek, taking a deep breath to settle my anger. I turn around to him and cross my arms.

"I'm fine." I speak, my voice firm.

"You're sure?" He turns his head to the side ever so slightly, his brows furrowed.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Y-You just seemed...angry." He stammers.

I walk toward him. "Do I look angry?" I question, walking around him to the door. I walk out, down the hall to the office. I step inside the office, Killian not far behind me, and plop down on the leather chair, my arm over the edge as my fingers press against my temple and my legs crossed. "Where's the contract?"

"Right here. You can look through it and, depending on what it is, I might adjust it." Nikolai says, holding out a stack of papers to me.

I hold it, staring at it in bewilderment. "I have to read all of this?" I raise a single eyebrow.

"There's only four pages." Killian comments.

"And? I don't want to read four pages of words." I toss it onto the glass coffee table, rolling my eyes.

"Do you want eight-hundred grand, or not?" Nikolai asks, leaning against his desk.

I sigh in annoyance before removing my arm and grabbing the papers back. I stand up and walk over to the cart of alcohol, picking up the strongest.

"What are you doing?" Nikolai asks as I fill a glass.

I turn around, lifting the glass to my lips. "If I'm going to be reading this contract, might as well be drunk, too." I shrug. I walk back to the couch and sit down, picking the papers back up.