46. | A Shell

Evelyn tossed and turned in her sleep, uncomfortable in every position

Evelyn tossed and turned in her sleep, uncomfortable in every position. Though she was asleep, it felt as though she were awake.

Her dream was vivid, life-like.

Her feet pounded against the floor, her breaths coming in puffs. Sweat dotted her brows as she ran down a hallway. The lights were dim, weakening her sense of sight.

She was scared. But she couldn't remember why. Why was she running? Who was she running from?

She whipped around the corner, bursting through the doors. The metal bar made a loud banging noise. Doors and windows sat at the end of the hall and she ran for them. She tried to open the first pair of doors, but they were locked. She tried the other pair, but they, too, were locked. She spun around, panting, and tried to figure out where to go.

She panicked and ran into an open hallway, which rounded around, back to the front.

She was in an old school. Her old school.

She tried to open the doors, but they were locked. Why am I here, she asked herself. She ran to the doors beside the front, throwing them open and darting up the stairs.

She burst through the doors of the upper level, the place seemingly abandoned. She stared down the hallway, lights hanging from the ceiling, paper, leaves, and dirt littering the floors, carried by the wind, doors barely hanging onto the hinges.

She moved her hair to the side, listening. She listened for something, anything, she could go off of. Something to tell her why she was running.

Then, she heard it.

A thumping heartbeat.

It was steady, calm. And she could hear it getting closer, louder.

She took off down the hall, through the debris, the remnants of what used to be a lively hall, full of students, the walls covered in assignments and activities the teachers hung up.

She turned the corner, running. But each hall was the same as the last. Messy, destroyed, broken.

She couldn't remember what had happened.

She whirled around another corner, taking the same left as before. She ran toward the end, where a pair of double doors were. They suddenly flew open and she skidded to a stop, her breathing heavy.

There was no one there, and if there was, she didn't stick around to find out who.

She ran inside what used to be a computer lab and hid. She sat on the ground, her knees to her chest and her back against a storage container. It was tall, easily masking her. She breathed heavily, quickly through her nose, her cheek pressed against her shoulder.

She could hear the footsteps, but they were faint, thanks to the carpet. She moved her hand and felt something hard. Looking beside her, she grabbed a metal pipe that had fallen from the ceiling.