29. | Two Words, One Heart

The days leading up to the wedding have been uneventful

I've tried to figure out more on my family, but Peyton's been on my back. He still doesn't trust me. I'm half-tempted to compel him to forget it even happened. But I can't compel my way out of everything.

I can barely control my body's shift. Something has thrown my body off balance and now, I'm losing control over it. I must figure out a time I can leave to practice my control again.

My phone vibrates and I pick it up.

KENJI: She's awake

Two words. Two simple words, yet my breathing stops all the same.

I'm dashing into my closet to put my shoes and jacket on, dashing to my nightstand to grab my car keys, dashing out my bedroom door with my phone in hand.

I tear open the front door and slam it behind me, jumping off the porch to save time on running down the stairs. I unlock my car and jump inside, not even bothering to buckle myself as I start it. I spin into reverse and speed down the driveway to the gate, the doors already open, but they start to close.

I pick up speed, barely missing the gate. I spin the wheel, turning to the left to go to the house. My phone is spamming with notifications, all from Killian, but I only turn my phone on silent.

Hope's awake. She's awake.

My phone lights up, but I don't check it.

It's only a matter of minutes before I'm pulling up the driveway. I screech to a halt, jumping out without closing the door or turning off the car. I burst through the front door as something is thrown and shattered.

I'm upstairs in an instant, dodging a vase thrown outside the room.

"Calm down!" I hear Kenji yell.

I run inside the room, more objects flying in my direction. I lean my head back as I use my hand and force the glass to the side with my magic. Kenji runs up to me. "What's going on?!" I yell as Angel attempts to stop Hope from throwing things.

"Didn't you get my message?! She won't stop!" He exclaims, panicked.

I turn back to Hope and notice her eyes turn gold. She leaps, landing on all fours covered in fur. "Hope, stop!" Angel shouts, backing away from her. Hope ignores her, stalking forward with a growl.

I jump down into my wolf form, managing to shift easily. I rush forward, slamming Hope into a wall. She whines as she lands on the floor. I stand a few inches away, growling at her, demanding she stop.

She lifts herself to her feet, her snarl slowly dissipating at the sight of me. She shifts back, her clothes fully intact. I do the same, standing to my full height. "Lynn?"

"You done with your fit?" is all I return, raising my eyebrow.

She blows a breath of relief before she's running to me, her arms wrapping around me. I wrap mine around her shoulders, a smile slipping onto my lips at the feel of her in my arms.

She's the first of many to save. And soon, I'll have them all.

***

Stepping inside the house, I attempt to be discreet.

My attempt fails as Killian is instantly beside me, bombarding me with questions.

Where the hell were you?

Do you know who's out there?

Do you know how dangerous it is?

Why did you run out so fast?

What was so important?

I barely got to see Hope. I had to get back to the house, so Killian wouldn't bug me for being gone so long – and so he wouldn't call a bloody search party. My emotions are already heightened as it is.

Peyton and Lillian appear somewhere, Peyton in front of her. "Hey, Kill, let's– let's relax."

"I will not calm down. If she were kidnapped, I would have gone through the trouble of finding her. I don't have time for her and her shit!" Killian yells. He turns back to me. "Where did you go? What was so important that you were running out of this house like it were your only chance?"

He continues to talk, but his words seem to mush together. I'm not ready. I'm not ready. I'm not ready.

My head hurts. Hurts. Hurts. Hurts. But he doesn't stop talking. I find myself mumbling, chanting, "Stop it," under my breath.

"I can't understand you when you're mumbling. Speak up!" Killian demands.

"Killian, leave her alone!" Lillian yells.

My chanting doesn't stop, the horrid memories slowly resurfacing as Killian keeps pushing. My hands fly to my head, shaking.

"I can't hear you when you mumble, Grace." He had growled, annoyed. "Speak. Up!"

His and Killian's voices merge together. Creating a demand that I'm not ready to do. A command I can't follow. An order I don't want to follow. "I SAID STOP IT!" I burst, drawing out the word in a scream with my hands covering my ears and my elbows pressed together, the windows shattering.

Shards fly in all directions, none of them hitting me. My scream fades into nothing, my chest heaving up and down.

A body runs into mine, holding me, hugging me. "You're okay. It's okay." They whisper in my ear. "Sleep." Begrudgingly, my body collapses in on itself and I fall into a black void.

***

A/N: Short chapter. Just need to get this part done n out of the way