Chapter Five

Midnight Truths

Grace

"Ey." Something poked me in the shoulder. Or someone. "Sleeping Beauty." Another poke. Why was someone poking me? I slapped the hand away and earned a chuckle, then nearly fell out of my chair when I found Rae standing over me in low-slung sweatpants and a plain white shirt. He looked halfway normal, if normal was still ridiculously beautiful in nothing but sweats.

I jolted and then tried standing only to be steadied by his hands. "What time is it? I fell asleep! I'm going to get fired. I'm—"

He put a hand over my mouth. "You're really loud."

"Sorry." It was muffled against his hand.

Slowly he lowered it, his eyes narrowing in on me like he was trying to figure me out which was pointless at this level of hot mess but I let him think it was possible by not saying anything.

I gulped.

He sighed and nodded toward the chair. "I'll take over."

"Nice trick." I crossed my arms. "I was told to guard the door so I'm going to guard the door." I almost stomped my foot too. God, I really was a hot mess.

He smirked at that. "You realize everyone could have escaped while you were snoring?"

"I do not!" I looked away in embarrassment. "Snore."

"You do. Loudly." His grin was mesmerizing, beautiful really, like something you see on TV but are convinced doesn't actually exist in real life.

"Can we not talk about this?"

"I think we should." His smile grew.

"I liked you better when you weren't bilingual."

"I speak four languages." He smirked. "Like me better now?"

"That's...arrogant." I bit down on my lip, wondering if he'd share his skin care routine with me at any point. How would that conversation even go, what cleanser do you use? It smells like heaven!

"I'm not sure anyone's ever called me that." He seemed extremely amused by that, laughing and looking away. "And I won't let anyone escape. It's my job too. I've just been tired from our schedule. I didn't mention it, but when you trip onstage it's hard not to notice."

"Everyone trips."

He nodded. "On live TV, in front of millions of people, during the finale."

I scrunched up my nose. "That's rough."

"I slipped on water." He shrugged. "I'll take over. I'm fine."

My stomach chose that awful moment to growl as my cheeks blushed bright red. "Sorry."

"When did you eat last?"

"On the plane? A day ago? Two? What day is it?"

His eyes widened. "You're joking?"

"I don't joke about food. Ever."

"Come on." He grabbed my wrist and jerked me toward the kitchen.

"But the door!" I tried scrambling away but he was freakishly strong for someone so tall.

"We'll hear them try to move the chair. It's loud, haven't you noticed? I think half the building already did," he joked with a wink and then opened the fridge. "Leftovers." He pulled out something in a plastic container and set it on the counter. "You're allowed to eat everything we eat. You just can't eat with us when we're filming."