Chapter Nineteen

Makeup and Cry

Grace

I sat in the background during the next two segments, my stomach protesting in hunger while the guys interviewed.

Their chemistry was amazing.

Had I not been living with them and managing chaos before the comeback, I would even probably smile a bit, but as it was, exhaustion had again set in along with emotional turmoil at Rae's words and Lucas's ability to speak my language and make me feel like an idiot in front of everyone.

I didn't even want to do a replay of all the stupid things I'd said in front of him and the rest of the guys. If I did, I'd probably hand over the keys to the van and lie down in the middle of the parking lot.

I'd literally called Lucas beautiful to his face.

No wonder Rae thought I was hitting on them.

I'd commented on their looks way too much.

From here on out, professional, do your job, smile when you're supposed to, bring them coffee, earn your internship credit—go back to Seattle.

I would be nothing but business.

I mentally high-fived myself and checked my phone. They had just started their final interview and had around ten minutes before I could drive them back and dive head first into whatever sort of chicken we had at the apartments.

One thing was for sure: the minute I was back in Seattle I was going to bathe in a tub of steak.

Okay, maybe that was too weird, but I was going to eat so much I would risk clogging my arteries. I loved food, I needed food, and chicken just...I shuddered, completely understanding why Sookie suddenly wanted to become a chicken murderer—he for real had a partner in crime there if he ever needed it.

I'd gladly wear a cape and bring a machete.

The guy interviewing them was doing everything virtually from the UK, which seemed to make things a little less intense. He was from one of the top radio stations in London and seemed pretty chill with his preppy haircut, bow tie, and black glasses.

He was like a nerdier version of John Mayer, right down to his checkered shirt and bright smile.

"So," his perfect radio voice sounded. "This next group needs no introductions. In fact, if you don't know who they are you may as well be dead."

Ha! Did that make this heaven or hell? Asking for a friend... I cringed as the guys all chuckled to themselves. I refused to make eye contact, instead focusing on the screen where the host was speaking.

"With two number one billboard hits in the last year and a half, over a billion views on three of your music videos, with viewership jumping like crazy and a fandom that grows by the hour—Sweet—these guys exploded onto the scene three years ago and have left audiences worldwide completely shaken with their smooth dance moves, pitch perfect vocals, and let's not forget some of the most addicting raps you've ever heard. I give you, SWT!"

The guys all smiled and waved.

"Why don't you all introduce yourselves?"

I noticed they went in the same order every time. And every time they spoke with someone who only spoke English, they all spoke English, which just made my misery even worse.

Would it have been so hard for someone to give me a hint? I mean at least Jay only kept the ruse for a few days!

Even Sookie was responding in English. True, he struggled a bit more than the rest of the guys, and I'd yet to hear Kai respond, but the other interview had been a mixture of both. They had heavier accents than the other guys but still managed to answer in a way that would please fans.