16| Rules to Win a Fight

P.O.V: Hazel

I skated hard to match the speed of the kid in front of me.

It was my job as a defender to make sure the puck never reaches Conner, never.

It was also the other defenders job as well. But Fisher was sick today so Killian stepped in and God he sucked ass in this position.

He was playing both a forward and a defensive shift and he needed a break.

Clearly.

So here I was chasing a puck that Killian let slip by and was too tired to chase.

But I couldn't make it in time.

He shoots right into Conners chest. Dumb ass, it bounced right off his pads and onto the ground.

Conner held it under his glove tight, the kid circled back around to poke at it.

I skated faster.

Come on ref wheres the God damn whistle?

I skated forward and checked the kid off Conner.

"Little bitch." He shouted as he fell onto the ice and sprung back up.

And finally I could hear the whistle.

"What can't handle being hit by a girl." Conner laughed picking the puck off of the ice.

"You know what you fucker." The kid skated towards Conner and I slid in between him.

Getting so close the cages of our helmets were touching.

"Back. the fuck. up." I stated in a low voice.

He chuckled, shoved me slightly. I wobbled on my skates but stayed standing.

"Protecting your little boy toy over there sweat heart?" He said in a mocking voice.

"No, my brother. And now you've got one pissed off sister."

I kept eye contact with him, barely blinking and it seemed to make him nervous.

I had to look up at him slightly but I could imagine that ways I could take him down.

"Oh really what the fuck are you gonna do about it?" He queastoned sounding a bit more serious realizing I wasn't playing around.

"Leave you laying on the ice crying for your mother." I stated

But before more action could occur the ref came and placed a hand on the kids chest backing him away.

"Number 28," he stated, "your in the box kid.".

The kid like any player does played innocent or transfered the blame.

"She checked me!"

"The hit was legal, although you shoving after the whistle was not. 1:30 for the minor roughing and the intent to harm. Along with unsportsmanlike language."

I just smirked and turned to look at Conner, he looked like a giant teddy bear in all his gear.

"You gotta stop telling people we are related." Conner said shaking his head.

"You say we're related" I said with a shrug

"Yeah, to protect you. I don't need you saying that to protect me." He replied grabbing his water bottle from the top of the net and squirting it in his mouth.

"Number one rule in hockey, protect your goalie." I said with a shrug skating off to the bench before he could say more.

"You said I was your brother!" Conner shouted over the phone.

"I was trying to think of something else but let's face it you practically are!" I shouted back.

"Hazel."

"Conner."

I couldn't see him because we were on a phone call but I could imagine the disappointed look.

"You can't keep lying to those boys, they are going to find out one way or another." Conner stated.

I was currently on the phone retelling Conner about my fun little conversation with Zach yesterday before school started.

"I'm not lying." I stated, "I can't skate."

I heard him sigh.

"Ok, technically you can. Mentally, ok maybe not. But... you do know a lot about hockey, I'm not your brother you don't even have a brother, you play sports, and should I keep going?"

"No." I mumbled realizing how bad this all sounded.

My entire life revolves around hockey it's hard to live a life without it.

"Hazel what have you actually told them about yourself thats true?"

"I told Zach about my dad, and how I like school." I stated.

Now I could feel the guilt really set in. Not because Zach was missing out on having a coach but because he was missing out on knowing me.

Thats why he was so upset yesterday and pushing about a question.

It was a question he thought he could get a single firm awnser on.

Little did he know it involved hockey.

"Conner I don't know how to talk about my life without mentioning hockey." I said frustrated.

"Hazel, you've got to. Either you do or you suck it up and tell him the truth."

He said it like he knew I wasn't going to tell the truth. Because we both know that would never happen, not till I got back into hockey.

School, I could feel it was going to be rough today.

I had stayed at the arcade after my little stand off with Zach but we barely talked. I stayed mostly around Mick and Zane playing Pac Man or some candy claw machine.

I knew tension was going to be present in all of my classes.

I nodded my head looking around my room. My eyes landed on my mirror.

My brown hair was braided back in double Dutch braids. I had on an over sized grandma sweater and black leggings with air force ones.

It was a sloppy attempt at an outfit but I wasn't in the business of caring.

"Ok, I'll figure something out." I stated reaching for my phone.

"Good girl." Conner said, I couldn't see him but I knew he was giving the nod of approval.

"Good bye Conner." I said about to hit the hang up button.

"Bye, have a good day at school."

I hung up the call and rolled my eyes.

He really was an older brother whether or not he would admit it.

Words: 987