17| Who I Am

P.O.V: Hazel

I walked through the halls almost dreading my first class, because when I walked into it I saw him sitting there.

Typing away at his key board, with his dirty blonde prep boy hair style. Just long enough to pass his eyes but was kept nice.

Blue eyes rushing back and forth intently looking at the screen.

I sat down next to him and drummed my fingers on the desk.

I watched him, waiting for him to notice. Conner taught me a trick about being a goalie a long time ago. To watch the eyes.

So I kept my view on his eyes, I watched them briefly leave the screen to glance at me then look back at the computer.

"Are you going to pretend like I'm not here?" I flat out asked.

I don't do the skip around. It's not my thing, no matter how much I was doing it with the hockey lie it didn't mean I liked it.

"I can try." He said with a scuff and a half smile.

Some moments his maturity made me forget he was a hockey player. Till his hockey attitude shined threw.

"Well I could slam that computer shut and sit on top of your desk but I'm sure that would draw attention." I stated

I watched as his cheeks flushed red for a second and his jaw clenched.

Bingo, I've got your attention now.

He shut the computer hard and turned towards me. Leaning his elbows on his knees he glanced at me from the top of his eyes.

I couldn't help but look at them, they were soft but staring at me with purpose.

"I want to apologize for yesterday at the arcade." I stated.

"Which part, your attitude or not talking to me?"

I raised an eye brow. I didn't know that not talking part was irritating him.

"Both." I said more as a question

He sort of scuffed.

"I'm more upset about the not talking, I can handle the attitude. Its kind of hot." He said the last part kind of mumbled and it caused my cheeks to heat up and I crossed my legs for good measure.

"I didn't know, I just thought you were upset-"

He cut me off, God I hate it when people cut me off but he didn't do it by shushing me. He held out his hand and I instantly shut my mouth and stopped talking.

"Hazel, you sit back and let others talk. I've noticed you enjoy listening to others more than you like to talk." He paused for a second looking around the classroom before speaking again "Hazel, I want you to talk. Tell me something about you that is more than one sentence long."

I looked at him, then looked at the grey tiled floor. And I thought about me and Conners conversation this morning.

"I was born in Plainwell and lived there my whole life till the move. My mom is a business woman and does most of her work at home. My dad was arrested when I was 8 for armed robbery, I didn't really care he hadn't exactly been around other than to beg for money every couple of months. Conner had stepped up and really become the only type of man in my life after that. I tried dating a close friend in early high school, it didn't work out. I've never been to a school dance, because I've never had time. I have a lot of guy friends and I love them all dearly." I finished the ramble slowing my words as I realized I was just rambling but Zach was listening so intently I thought I might cry.

I didn't realize how disconnected I felt from Rice creek till now. I was missing my person, the one I could just talk to and laugh with. I had one here this whole time but never took the opportunity to talk to him because I was so scared.

"Do you have any hobbies, other than weightlifting?" Zach asked ignoring the lecture that was starting.

I sort of shrugged trying to think of something.

"I guess I like to draw." I explained thinking back to the hours I spent drawing in my moms car on the way to tournaments.

"That would explain the art 3rd hour. No one picks art unless they like it." Zach said with laughter under his voice.

"What about you? Whats your life story." I asked now pulling out my classic hockey smirk.

"Well, my mom is a lawyer and my dad is the schools lacrosse coach. My cousin Grey who practically lives at my house is the captain of the lacrosse team. I started hockey as soon as I could walk, my mom said I was a natural so I tried triple A. She thought it was too intense and made me quit. Tried basket ball for like 2 months obviously didn't work out. I started teaching mini mites last year, I needed hours for NHS."

I looked at him closer, searching every corner of his face like it was a piece of art.

God it was a piece of art.

But he was doing the same to me.

I cleared my throat and looked forward at the screen. The attention felt weird.

Being under the spot light as Hazel Underwood was normal I was used to it when I was in that form.

But right now I was the small town girl from Plainwell who liked art and weight lifting and apparently I hated the attention. Or I secretly liked it?

I fiddled with my pencil sitting on the ledge of my desk looking forward at the teacher pointing at the white board.

I could still feel Zachs eyes on me and I shifted in my seat alittle.

This feeling was weird. Like the inside of my stomach was warm and my mind was blank and hot.

"Nice to finally meet you Hazel." Zach said before opening his computer again.

"Nice to meet you too." I mumbled.

Words: 1012