Chapter 27

-Odette's POV, Graduation Ceremony-

Students, families, and teachers are in the gym as the ceremony continues

Students, families, and teachers are in the gym as the ceremony continues. Umbrellas are on hand in case the clouds open up.

"Our answers were things like astronaut, president," Jessica continued, standing at the podium, class valedictorian. "Or in my case, princess. When we were ten, they asked again and we answered, rock star, cowboy, or in my case, gold medalist. But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how 'bout this: who the hell knows?!"

Loud hoots and hollers from the audience, in which Bella and I are sitting in the middle. Jessica's words are sinking in. I was finally graduating at a young age.

"This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, it's the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train, and get stuck somewhere chill. Fall in love a lot. Major in philosophy because there's no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind. Then change it again, because nothing is permanent,"

Jessica continued. Bella and I looked at each other, knowing there will be no changing her mind once we made our decision. The speech continued. On the stage, Bella walked to the school principal and shook his hand while receiving her diploma. I shrieked her name out as she glared at me.

Everyone laughed as I gave a goofy smile. Out in the audience Charlie, Jay, and Christine stood up and clapped loudly, beaming with pride. After she went up, so did I. Charlie, Jay, and Christine clapped even louder. I did a little twirl as everyone laughed.

"So make as many mistakes as you can. That way, someday, when they ask again what we want to be, we won't have to guess. We'll know," Jessica finished as everyone clapped.

-Post Graduation Ceremony-

Charlie, Jay, Christine, Bella, and I walked away, Bella awkwardly shouldering out of her gown and mortarboard. She and I ad-libbed "see you at the parties" with various students including the usual suspects if possible. Charlie wrapped an arm around our shoulders, emotional.

"I'm so proud of you, Bella. You too, Odette. I can't wait to see what you two do next. You're my biggest accomplishment," he teared up. "I'm so proud of you, Elle," Christine cried, kissing my head. I laughed, taking her kisses. Jay laughed as he hugged me. "Dad, that's not true," Bella denied.