Chapter Fifteen: Unexpected Tears

Chapter 15: Unexpected Tears

----------

I had been following them for around 10 minutes now and they still hadn't noticed me. I got to say, I'm really good at this whole stalker thing. I'm like a ninja. I should totally take this up as a hob-.

Rubbing my nose, I stood up and glared at the pole I had run into. Rapidly, I looked around in search of the familiar car hoping I hadn't lost it. Fortunately, I caught sight of the car rounding a bend. Running, I caught up with the car and continued to follow it, remaining hidden.

Five minutes later, the car stopped in front of a small house. Well, I wasn't really sure if you could call it a house. The windows were cracked, the walls were stained with what looked like alcohol, and a foul stench emitted off the building. Is this where they live? I didn't know they were poor?

As they got out of the car and walked into their house, I moved closer. I could hear screaming from the inside of the house which was muffled by the door slamming shut. Going up to the house, I placed my ear against the door. The screaming had stopped and it was quiet. The silence was quickly broken by a loud smash and crying echoing from inside the house.

I jumped back from the door while my heart's rate quickened. What was going on in there? Was that Cy-Cy crying? Or maybe Shawn? Were they being hurt?

As these thoughts passed through my mind the image of Cy-Cy's bruised arm flashed before my eyes. That image was soon replaced by Cy-Cy and Shawn standing before me with bruises coating their faces. It can't be.

Not thinking about what I was doing, I barged into the house and followed the screams to the living room. Cy-Cy was lying in a corner, blood and tears trickling from the side of her face while Shawn stood in front of her with his jaw locked and his fists clenched. From where I was standing, I noticed shards of glass on the floor and furniture scattered all around the room.

Looking across the room, I saw a man, who looked to be in his thirties, standing with a broken beer bottle in his hand. His eyes were bloodshot and he stunk of alcohol and smoke. His clothes were torn and his hair was tangled and dirty. My assumptions had been right.

"What did you do to her?" I whispered across the room.

Shawn, noticing me for the first time, turned rapidly to face me. The look he gave me was clearly telling me to get the hell out, but I didn't listen. All I could focus on was Cy-Cy, lying nearly unconscious on the floor, and the man who I believed was her father, smirking at me.

"Brooklyn! Get out of here!"

I didn't listen to him. I was too busy glaring daggers at the man who was slowly approaching me.

"What do you want missy? This ain't your house. Stay out of my business with my kids and get the hell out!"

Gritting my teeth and powered on full adrenaline, I launched myself at the man. My anger had fogged my vision and all I could think of was how the man deserved this for how much pain he had put Cy-Cy and Shawn in. I clobbered him with my fists and my feet, kneeing him in the groin as he fell to the ground.

"You're a sick bastard," I muttered out before crossing the room to Cy-Cy and Shawn.

Shawn was shooting me the craziest look, but I brushed it off. Kneeling down on the floor, I tore off a part of my shirt, and wrapped it around Cy-Cy's wound.

"Brooklyn?"

I hushed her, "It's going to be ok Cy-Cy. I'm here now."

She whimpered in pain as the cloth came in contact with her cut and I uttered soothing words to help her get through it.