Chapter Seventeen: Staying Strong

Chapter 17: Staying Strong

-----------

Remy's POV

I sprinted down the hallway like a maniac. I could feel the tears streaming down my cheeks as an image of Brooklyn's dead face came to my mind. Furiously brushing them away, I dug deep down and ran harder looking for anyone who could save Brooklyn.

Rounding a corner, I crashed into someone and fell to the ground. Jumping back to my feet, I looked up and relief engulfed my face. It was a doctor.

"Doctor, I need your help!"

The look he gave me told me that he thought I was crazy, but I could care less at this point.

"Brooklyn, she's—she's dyi—" I choked on the words.

I noticed the doctors eyes bulge wide open a he clutched my shoulders. "Brooklyn? Brooklyn Banks?"

I nodded numbly, lost on words to say.

He let go of me and fled down the halls, his white jacket fluttering behind him. Snapping out of my daze, I chased after him until we reached Brooklyn's room.

When we opened the door to her room, we rushed over to her bed. I stared down at her face and a pang went through my heart. Her face was pale and when I reached out and touched her hand, it was as cold as ice.

"Doc, what happened?"

"The morphine dosage was too high." The doctor picked up a syringe and inspected it. "We were supposed to give her only 0.1mm, but it seems as if the nurse made a mistake."

"What do you mean the nurse made a mistake?" I growled loudly.

The doctor's face grew tired and weary. "Brooklyn here was given 1mm of morphine. I'm afraid it may be too late for her."

"Too late? You have to do something," I knew I sounded desperate, but I need them to save her.

"We can try to extract the dosage from her body, but it may have already mixed in with her blood. We could end up quickening her death if we remove too much blood with the morphine."

I slammed my fist against the wall. It immediately began throbbing in pain, but I ignored it. My heart clenched as I thought of a world without Brooklyn. It just couldn't happen. I won't let this happen.

"Brooklyn wouldn't have gone down without a fight. Please, at least give it a try."

The doctor ran a finger through his wavy black hair and let out a sigh. Moving towards the bed, he rolled Brooklyn over and began to lift her from the bed.

"What are you doing?!"

He stared at me with a twinkle in his eyes. "You wanted me to save her, right."

Grinning slightly, I wiped away any trace of tears and followed him to the emergency department.

This was the most I had cried in a long time and I have to say. I felt like a three year old again.

------

For what felt like eternity, I had been pacing back and forth in front of the emergency room waiting for Brooklyn to come out. The red light illuminating from the emergency light lighting up the dark halls. Behind me, Cy-Cy and Shawn were also waiting patiently for Brooklyn to come out.

I had nearly dug a hole in the floor when the door swung open. Anxiously, my head spun rapidly over to a nurse hurry out and scurry away before I could interrogate her. Swearing under my breath, I backtracked towards Cy-Cy and Shawn and took a seat next to them.

Willing to take my mind off of the operation Brooklyn was going through, I switched over to what she had told me in the room.

Even now I could remember the fire in her eyes as she spewed out words of hate.

"Remy Fox, I—I hate you. I hate you more than I hate hell."

She didn't mean it. She couldn't mean it. I won't allow her too!

I felt a hand move on my knee and I looked up to see Cy-Cy shooting me a sympathetic look. I had done the favor of telling Cy-Cy and Shawn of the argument Brooklyn and I had had.

"It's going to be fine Remy. You know she didn't mean any of it."

I buried my head in my hands once again.

"I just—I just don't know anymore. You should've seen her Cy," my shoulders shook, "the look she gave me—"

"Dammit Remy, man up!" I jumped subconsciously, surprised by Shawn's sudden outburst. He hadn't spoken the whole evening and I could clearly sense his sincere worry for Brooklyn.

"Brooklyn wouldn't want to see you or any of us crying or moping around. Even though she's stuck in there and might di—not make it through she would want us to be happy. That's the type of person she is. Sure she said some nasty things to you, but she didn't mean it. I know she didn't mean it and you damn well know too. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not going to sit around crying. I'm going to wait here for Brooklyn to get the hell out so we can leave this godforsaken prison. Hopefully you get the message and shut the freakin' hell up."

Well I can guarantee one thing. That sure as hell shut me up.

Although the message was a "polite" way to get me to shut up, I could not ignore the truth buried underneath all of that.

If Brooklyn saw me now, she would be disappointed.

Funny how it takes someone whose known her way shorter than I have to get that message through my head.

I'm so stupid.

Sucking in all the negativity that I had received earlier, I buried it inside of myself and patiently waited.

--------------