Chapter 11

Happy Reading :)

My dad was doing much better, he would come home on Friday. Coincidentally the same day I promised Lexi I would go out with her. 

My days were spent finishing up my online classes, turning in my final projects and studying for the only exams standing between me and graduation.

And I was busy ignoring the fact that the guy I let embarrassingly close to my heart and life was actually just someone Felix found to stalk me.

All the times I jokingly called him a stalker. How stupid could I be? Did I manifest this?

I didn't talk to Felix much after that night, I was cordial. I kept everyone at an arm's length and kept doing what I needed to do to survive being in the house. It was mentally draining and I couldn't even vent to Anthony.

I didn't want to vent to Joey. I wanted to bottle up all the unfairness inside of me. Every frustration, every betrayal. I wanted to keep it inside for two reasons. 

1. If I didn't say it out loud maybe it wasn't real.

2. No one would care about me and my frustrations as much as I do. And hearing someone's patronizing advice would break the very fragile Lydia that was already existing in this house. 

"Papa's coming home today, once the nurses come take out his IV we are coming home." Mama said to me over the phone. 

"Take this stupid thing out of me Mannaggia!"   I could hear my father cursing in the background. 

"Has he been arguing with the nurses again?" I asked, "Don't let him Ma they literally have his life in their hands." 

"No no, as soon as they come around he smiles and tells jokes, he's looking for a new girlfriend, eh Benito?" 

"Maria no,"  I heard him laugh in the back.

"To his wife he complains, not to the nurses." 

"Okay Mama, just let us know when you're almost here." I laughed. 

We all began speed cleaning the house in anticipation. Leo went to the store and bought heart healthy foods, he was going to cook for a while until Mama figured out how to use less oil and salt in her cooking. 

"Do you want to get ice cream or something at night?" Joey asked, "Like old times?"

"Oh." I blinked. "Aw Joey, I promised Lexi I would go out with her. Maybe after? If you're still awake?"

"Lexi?" Melvin asked, "What are you doing with Lexi?" 

"We're going out." 

"I thought you guys didn't talk?" He asked, making his voice sound casual but I could tell he was feeling bothered.

"We didn't," I reassured him, "But the other day I saw her on my walk and caught up. So we're going out." 

"Where are you going?" Marcus chimed in.

"I don't know." 

"Well maybe me and Leah can come too, you can meet her." He suggested. 

I stared straight at Marcus. My brother, wanting to come out with me. As an adult. He was an adult. I was an adult. Meeting his adult girlfriend. 

He wasn't telling me he was coming to make sure no one talked to me or to stop me from drinking. 

"I would love to meet her," I said genuinely, "I'm not sure this is a place for meeting your girlfriend for the first time."

"It's the strip club isn't it." Melvin held his head. 

"You guys are insane." I laughed.

The rest of the evening went smoothly. No one else questioned me although I knew they were dying too. I couldn't count out the fact that they could be plotting to just show up that night. That wouldn't be ideal.