THIRTEEN

Grace

I don't think my heart has ever beaten so fast. The phone ended and instantly I regretted that decision. Even though Miller knew, he had told me to do it. But that didn't mean that I wasn't freaking out. I wasn't good with men, I knew that. Hell, I worked with Finn for two years and could hardly look at him, my cheeks would blush so hard heat radiated off them.

I didn't know how I could date Xavier, I had to play it down. Like I wasn't attempting to ruin his life. The second I got what I needed from him; the mission would be over. I would have to turn him in, he would hate me forever. But I guess it was good while it lasted, I guess I could practice my flirting skills. But I needed help.

"Jamie, I need you" I say over the phone, I can practically hear her smiling through the phone.

"What do I owe the pleasure?"

"I have a date with Xavier, I have nothing to wear, and I don't know what to do" I ramble as she laughs. My head was in my hands, I was sat in the middle of my apartment on the floor.

I was driving myself insane, I had nothing to wear. Nor the skills to date anyone, especially a Cavalini. He was a dangerous man; I knew that he could ruin my life. I heard stories, I knew the rumours. This was potentially the worst idea I had ever had in my life, but I had to follow through.

"I am on my way" she says before the line goes dead.

When Jamie walks into my bedroom I am sat on the floor surrounded by a pile of clothes, I had tears streaming down my face. I haven't been this stressed since my entry exams for the FBI. I had to make this work, if I messed this up then I would lose all the possible intel I could get. Xavier would most likely fire me from Hendy's bar on a Tuesday.

Why did I think this was a good idea?

"Wow, you look great" she says sarcastically, my head shoots up frowning at her. I needed help not stupid comments. "Get up" she tells me.

I pull myself up, and look at her. Jamie was everything I had wanted to be, she had confidence. She didn't care what people thought of her, my entire life I had stayed on a straight path. Since my father left when I was young, I had always felt like I had to prove to my mother that I could be successful.

I was successful, I worked for the FBI. She was proud of me. My step father was too, they also knew I was undercover but had no idea what I was doing. I wanted to make everyone proud, I wanted to be a good agent. I was promised a promotion if I helped with an arrest.

"Where is he taking you?" She asks, her hands moving the hair from my face. She cups my cheeks, her hand swipes away my tears.

"I don't know he just said dinner" I shrug, I felt her scream before I heard her. It was deafening.

"Xavier Cavalini is taking you out for dinner?"

She was jumping around like an idiot, she was clinically insane sometimes. I really did wonder if she was on crack. There was no way this girl was sober and like this. When she was drunk it only got worse.

"Yes" I say confused, it was a meal but she was acting as if I was about to meet the queen.

"Grace, I swear you live under a rock!" She rolls her eyes at me. "This man is a millionaire, dinner is not just a trip to the local Applebee's"

"I told him to keep it causal"

"Grace" She sighs "This man doesn't do causal, I have some dresses for you to try on"

I watch as she grabs a huge bag, there were dresses after dresses being pulled out. The main colour being black, I had to dress nice. I had to look as nice as I could, I had an impression to make.

"This one" She holds up a black dress, it was simple but beautiful

I don't think I was much of a dress person, I rarely dressed up. But when I did I felt beautiful, Jamie always helped me feel my most beautiful.

She really was a good friend.

Of course she had no idea who I truly was, I didn't know if she would hate me if she found out. I head into the bathroom before I begin to get changed into the dress. I turn my body before I catch myself in the mirror.

Holy shit. This dress made me look amazing, I had never seen myself like this. I felt undeniably beautiful. I really hoped that Xavier would like it.

"Wow" I turn my head to see Jamie at the door. Her mouth was open. "You look so hot"

"You think?" I ask cocking my head.

"Yes! Are you kidding me! You look amazing he's gonna struggle to keep his hands off of you"

That was when it hit me. He had to keep his hands off of me, I couldn't sleep with this man. Even if I wanted too, Miller would have a mental breakdown if he found out we slept together. I would loose my job.

That was something I couldn't afford to lose I had worked too hard. But Xavier was tempting, hell; he was worse than the devil. If he was in the garden of eden, I would totally understand why Eve gave in.

He looked like the devil and was as tempting as him.

"Oh god, I can't believe I'm doing this" I say taking a seat "Maybe I should cancel"

"No!" Jamie warns "Grace, I haven't known you long but I do know you always put everyone before yourself. You deserve a night off, you deserve a man. Even if it is for a night"

I guess she was right, but my nerves were more in the fear section. What if he knew who I truly was, what if this was a set up. I may not make it out alive.

"Okay" I let out a sigh.

I hear my phone buzz, I look down and see it's a text from Miller. It would disappear after I have read it, secret mission and all that.

Miller:
Text this number with code word "Uber" If you need anything.

I sigh, I didn't need to reply to this. I knew how risky this was. I wasn't a field agent, I didn't do this shit. I had been thrown in, but I had to get my head in the game. I was playing Grace Hadley, she could be whoever I wanted to be.

Allie Harris wasn't here anymore. I had to embrace Grace. Perhaps she was more outgoing than Allie, I could make that work.

Grace Hadley was who he wanted. If that's who he wanted, then that is who I would give him.

~

My hands were shaking, when door knocked. Jamie had left minutes before. Xavier was here, I took a deep breath as my feet carried me to the door. I wore heels, I hadn't worn heels in years but here I was. Like bambi on ice.

Allie didn't wear heels, Grace did.

I open the door and there stood Xavier, he wore a black shirt with matching black pants. God, he was beautiful. His eyes pierced down at me, I saw the dark stubble. The small scar was more prominent up close; I wondered where this came from.

"Wow" That was all he could say, the only word that left his mouth. "May I?" He holds his hand out for me to take.

I don't speak, but I take his hand. Our hands lace together, I felt the fireworks spark throughout my body. It was a simple hand hold but it felt intimate. It felt more intimate than ever anything I had experienced before.

I am walked down the stairs, my hand holding tightly onto Xavier. He didn't know it, but he was helping me steady my walk. I hear a door creek as we reach the bottom of the stairs, it was the managers office. Creepy Rob appears. But when his eyes meet us they widen.

Almost like he knew Xavier, but then again didn't everyone in New York.

Falling from Grace On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara