XVI

Maria stood tall in front of the group of people who she knew she could trust enough to send off on this mission. It was a risk, and amongst them was Jesse. Quinn eyed him from far away her brows furrowed.

"He shouldn't be here." The raven haired girl whispered and Ellie nodded. "There's no way Dina will let him go."

Maria went over the plan. "We move as a group. These people are dangerous."

"Why are they even here?" One of them spoke up and Maria's eyes trailed towards Quinn before looking away quickly. Some people had started to question whether it was worth the risk. Or why the WLF was even looking for Jackson. This meeting specifically was to tell them why. Why we needed to get rid of them and why they were attacking our people.

"These people. They killed Joel, they killed Tommy...and they won't stop until they take over this place." She lied. There was no way they'd fight if they knew the true reason behind the ordeal.

"So that's it? They just want our territory?" Maria nodded with confidence at the question and the whole room looked as if they now understood. Quinn couldn't help but feel guilty about the lies. They were gonna risk their lives because of her. Because she was there.

"Now we're not going all the way down to their base, I have a small group that will do that. We just need to expand our patrol. I need you guys to stay out there for a few days and keep watch until this small group of people come back."

"That small group of people being?" One of them spoke up skeptical. That's when Ellie stood up. Along with Jesse and Quinn. "We'll be going."

"You can't be serious?" The man retorted. "Last time she left she came back half dead. Tommy gone!"

"Hey the wasn't her fault." Quinn threatened and Ellie held her back.

"And let's not forget her. Shows up out of the nowhere nobody knows who she is!"

"Enough!" Maria yelled. "These are the people I've chosen. Are you questioning my judgment? In all these years when have I failed you guys? Come on."

Everyone in the room quieted down, the man who had stood up to argue sat back down. His face full of disapproval.

"Anyone who doesn't want to participate is free to leave." She challenged yet nobody stood up, not even the man who complained before. "Okay."

Maria nodded her head and walked around the room as she continued to discuss the plan. "It will take about a week, we prepare the outside bases today. After that's done they'll set off. Understood?"

Everyone in the room agreed and Maria dismissed the group. A few stayed behind with questions. Ellie watched Jesse leave the room and she followed behind him along with Quinn.

"Jesse!" She yelled after him.

"I know what you're gonna say. Don't. I'm not letting you do this alone this time."

"It's too dangerous!" She argued.

"What about Dina." Quinn added.

"I talked to her. Took a bit to convince her but she agreed." Ellie stopped in her tracks surprised.

"Really?" She asked almost skeptical. "Yeah. Really."

"Jesse you don't have to do this." Quinn stepped forward her face full of concern. "But I do. You guys are my best friends. Last time you had to fight alone. This time you don't."

"But-" Ellie's protest was interrupted by a loud bang. The three turned around and the sight of smoke started to overtake Jackson. Quinn knew it in her gut. She knew what it was.