XVII

The battle was ugly. Very ugly. Lots of Jackson solider were either injured or dead. That's not to say they didn't do equal damage. WLF numbers were faltering but they had yet to see Abby and Isaac again.

"They have to be hiding somewhere. If there's one thing he is it's a coward and these people? They're simply his pawns." Quinn sneered as she shot down yet another solider. They didn't have many not after their little trip. Turns out that on their small little journey to revenge Ellie and Quinn had single handedly taken out most of their soldiers. The ones that were left were mostly new.

"The explosion...it came from the left. There were multiple military trucks there." Jesse pointed his head towards the direction of the explosion and Quinn nodded.

"That's where most of the chaos is. They're probably inside of the trucks. Hiding."

"Fucking cowards." Maria muttered. Unlike them she was out here doing what a leader should do.

"I'll stay here, protect the people. Jesse you're with me." Maria instructed. "Ellie, Quinn. Do your worst."

Both girls did as told. Almost like a dance they watched each others backs and made their way down the chaos. Killing came naturally now. Something that made Quinn overthink was now just a regular day. She used to wait for the day things would be normal now she didn't even think about it. Normal in a apocalypse was pretty much impossible.

"There." Quinn pointed. That's definitely his."

A big military truck with a wolf spray painted on it. Isaac was always big on theatrics. Not to mention it was surrounded by guards. "He's definitely hiding there."

"How are we gonna take them out." Quinn smiled at Ellie's question. "Same way we always do."

"Sneak behind." She answered and Quinn nodded. She almost found it sadistic how excited she was to end the life of the man she hated. The man who haunted her dreams, and she wondered if Ellie felt the same way about Abby. Many times they calmed each other during panic attacks. They were each others rock. A safe haven for when everything was wrong.

"We'll have to sneak out of Jackson first. Cut trough the forest and approach from behind." There was no need for the two of them to use words. They moved in sync each knowing what the others move was. Carefully they crawled out a hole in once Jackson's gates. Lucky for them Isaac was dumb enough to bring every solider in meaning there were none watching the outside. It took what felt like an eternity to make their way around their small community.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Ellie looks at the woman she loves as they hastily approach the military truck from before. Quinn simply gave her a reassuring nod. "Stay behind me."

Quinn did as told and the brunette before her pulled her gun out. Pointing it up she lifted the handle on the back of the truck. To their surprise it was opened and as predicted Isaac was inside. Along with Abby. They were getting suited up to exit the truck.

"Quinn." Isaac quickly spoke spotting his daughter. "My daughter."

"Shut the fuck up. You don't get to call her that." Ellie threatened and Isaac put his hands up. "Quinn, I'm sorry. I was wrong. Please...come back home."

"Home? You killed my mother."

"I admit it was rash. I wasn't thinking right. You would've done the same if it meant you could save the world!"

"Back the fuck up." Ellie yelled watching Abby try and sneak closer. She'd been awfully quiet actually. "Save the world? You would kill your daughter for a chance at saving the world?"

The situation was down right comical really. Ellie was mad at Joel her father figure for sacrificing the world for her. Quinn was angry her father would sacrifice her for the sake of the world.

Isaac opened his mouth to speak but before he could Quinn aimed her gun.

"Save it. You're dead either way." Quinn pulled the trigger without a second thought. All hell broke lose between brunette and the blonde. Quinn couldn't break free from the haze that clouded her mind. All she could do was stare at his lifeless body. The way his dull eyes despite of having no life in them seemed to stare back at her as if they could see the deepest part of her soul.

"Please. They've got Lev. He threatened me said he'd kill him if I didn't lead him to your people!" Abby begs for her life. Ellie had her straddled and her hands tightly wrapped around her neck. Quinn finally breaks free from the deadly gaze of her father and panics.

She watched the brunette lose herself before her grip on Abby's neck loosened. Ellie broke down crying and Abby stood up.

"Just go!" Ellie yelled and the blonde looked at Quinn. She wasn't sure what was going on but she knew one thing. Ellie needed comfort and security and so as she watched Abby walk past her with a bloodied face she ran towards Ellie. Pulling her in for a long embrace the brunette desperately grabbed on to Quinn as if she too would disappear before her. As most the chaos outside the two girls sat inside the truck in a tight embrace.

.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.

"You let her get away!" Maria slammed her fist on the table and Quinn stood up. "You don't know what she's been trough! You weren't the. You didn't do the things she did!"

Ellie sat back her head hung low, lost in thought. "I-I'm sorry. You're right. I just...I can't believe she got away. Again."

"I'm sorry." Ellie croaked out. Quinn sat back down grabbing on to her shaking hands. "It's okay baby."

"I just...I couldn't. When it came down to it. I couldn't."

"We lost a lot of people. We're gonna need all the help we can get but if you're not up to it...."

"No. I need to help." Ellie looked up desperate. "I need a distraction."

"Ellie...you should rest. You're mentally exhausted."

"But-"

"No buts both of you. Stay home. Rest."

"Wait what?" Quinn started to protest but Maria was already at the door. "Take a few days. You need."

Before either of the girls could argue back María left softly closing the door behind her. Leaving the two of them in dead silence.

"I could've worked." Ellie grunted. "You're not okay El's."

"And you are?" Ellie raised her voice and Quinn looked at her hurt. She knew she was referring to the night before when she woke up in a panic. Sweating, screaming bloody murder. She admired that when she closed her eyes all she could see was Isaac staring back at her. "Stop pretending like you're okay for my sake."

"I'm sorry." Her voice quivered and regret flashed across Ellie's face. "Come here."

The raven haired girl buried herself in Ellie neck. Her scent overwhelmingly comfortable. "I'm sorry I yelled."

"It's okay."

"Look at the bright side we get to have a mini vacation. No more work? Sounds like every Jackson citizen's dream." They chuckle together at the joke and Ellie calmly strokes her hair.

"Thank you for staying with me. I don't know how I would've done it without you." Quinn whispers.

"I should be the one saying that. I'm so scared of ending up alone."

"You'll never be alone. Not for as long as I'm on earth." Quinn reassures her.

A/N: I'm debating whether to finally write the ending OR extending it in some sort of way to follow the second half of the game....thoughts?