III

Ellie starred at the girl who was now marching towards the museum. She remembered all the bodies in those sewers. Then Sam then Henry. It was weird how the world worked. They had been in the same place but different times.

"Let's go find that map." Quinn nodded and walked toward the museum. When the two entered trough a broken window Quinn's eyes wondered amazed. The glass stained windows allowed the sun to shine trough giving the museum natural lighting.

"It's beautiful." Ellie frowned a little in realization. "You've never been out here...or anywhere."

Quinn turned around to face the girl with a huge smile. "No. I haven't. I went from one hiding to the next. After infected got into my community we ran straight to the WLF. My mom knew Isaac before all of this so..."

"Isaac?"

"He's the leader of the WLF."

"Hmmm. How did you do it?" Ellie's brows furrowed in thought when Quinn's voice came piercing trough the building.

"Do what? Holy shit look at this telescope. I'm sure I could see all the details on the moon at night." Quinn got distracted and Ellie shushed her.

"Are you trying to attract infected"

"Sorry." Quinn lowered her gaze down to her feet and Ellie.

"I have on of these at home." Ellie pointed at the telescope seeing as the girl hadn't been so talkative before. She too this as a chance to get to know her better. After all they were stuck with each other and she would feel more comfortable if she knew who she was traveling with.

"So how did you survive? The outbreak." Ellie questioned and Quinn answered back while taking a peek trough the telescope

"In the sewers?" The smile that once exposed her dimples disappeared when Ellie nodded her head.

"That's a long story."

"Good thing we have time." Ellie set her bag down indicating they'd stay here for the night. Quinn offered her a weak smile before setting down her bag.

Flashback

"Time for training."  June, Quinn's mom called out to her and the girl rolled her eyes. She had just turned thirteen and June decided it was time for her to learn how to protect herself.

"What will I learn this time. I was playing with Judy."

"And you can play again when we come back."

"You know all the kids think it's weird right? I'm the only one learning how to shoot guns and arrows. To fight? There's nothing to fight down here." June lowered herself to Quinn's level and looked at her serious.

"It's never completely safe. We're human. Humans make mistakes. And who's protecting this place?"

Quinn sighed and looked away, her mom turned her face.

"Answer me."

"Humans." Quinn muttered.

"That's right. Now go get changed." 

"Yes mom." Quinn dragged her feet and put on some shoes which her mom had gotten her to train in. Her mom told her they used to be expensive back before the outbreak. As Quinn tied her shoes she heard a gunshot go off. The girl quickly stood up from her knee and slowly walked towards her door.

"Mom?" Right on cue June barged in her room shutting her door.

"Take this. You remember how to reload?" Her mom spoke quickly. Her breath unsteady.