07 | The Embryo

The title of this chapter makes me chuckle.  

Chapter 07: The Embryo

*Luke's POV*

A snotty nosed child stared up at me, his little hand gripping the giant handle of the front door.

"What do you want, sir?" he asked as I reluctantly turned round to look at him.

I had been so close to escaping this bullshi-

"Don't call me sir," I told him, "I'm not old."

"You look old."

I exhaled, realizing I was going to have to talk to this embryo in order to get a girl I do not care about out of this house. He held the door wide open and I saw a bunch of kids running around behind him.

What is this? An orphanage?

Toys, shoes and jackets cluttered the hallway behind him. Felt like a vibrant home, unlike the sterile environment I came from.

"What are you? Five?" I asked.

"I'm eleven and a half."

"You could use a growth spurt."

Before he made another whiny comment, a woman's voice shouted from inside. "JAREL! Don't open the door to strangers!"

Jarel looked into the house and screamed back, "An old man's here to see you!"

He then turned his head back to me and smiled.

I like this kid.

A lady appeared in the hallway and the other kids swarmed around her, while she yanked her son behind her, "Who are you? Friend of Cearra's?"

We're at the right house then.

"No," I answered, "But I'm looking for Cearra."

"Well, you're looking at her mom so you're going to have to explain why you're here and quickly, because I have food cooking in the kitchen," she looked me up and down and then said, "I remember you. Luke, was it?"

I nodded.

"Yeah, I remember you. Basketball star, the popular boy in school who gets away with whatever he wants. What do you want with my daughter?"

"I'm here for our lesson," I said, forcing myself to say those words.

I'd rather sign up for Navy SEAL hell week than go through this.

She looked as sceptical as I was when Millie first told me what to say.

"And what is my daughter teaching you?" she asked, hand on hip to suggest she wasn't buying any of this.

Come on lady. Just let your daughter out of this flipping house.

"She is teaching me..." it took me every inch of determination to say the next words, "Dance."

"Sorry, come again?"

Sometimes I think Millie likes to humiliate me on purpose.

"Dance."

Jarel snickered loudly. I looked down at him and he immediately quietened, hiding behind his mom again.

Cearra's mom took a moment before saying, "No offence but I don't believe this for a second."

That makes two of us.

"So why are you taking dance lessons?" she asked me.

Her tone had changed to one of curiosity and, I think, amusement. I wasn't even trying to defend this.