21 | Balance Restores

Thank you to @simplilukierfor the cutesy poster of Millie & Luke!

Chapter 21: Balance Restores

*Two hours later*

My family was breaking bread.

A home cooked dinner at our dining table. The smell of warm food in the air and the sound of light conversation in our home.

I had always imagined an evening like this, but now that it was here, I wasn't enjoying any of it.

I stood at the top of the staircase and listened to their voices. I closed my eyes and felt Luke brush my shoulder as he walked by, the sound of my bedroom door closing behind him.

Am I strong enough to do this?

He didn't say anything to me, and I didn't say anything back. But I couldn't resist looking up at him and, for a second, our eyes connected. 

The hours we spent in my room together, the months we've had together before that... this was a new era for us.

Our eyes were locked in each other, before he stepped away and averted his gaze, focusing on the path ahead. 

I watched him walk down the staircase, commanding attention from the room he walked into like he always does without wanting to. That's almost Luke's curse - attracting attention he never wanted.  

The sound of cutlery and casual conversation died down as my family's attention diverted to Luke.

"Luke, are you joining us? We've saved you a seat," Flora offered, pointing at a seat next to her.

Her boyfriend, Max, was sitting opposite her and, for some reason, seemed excited to see Luke, "Hey man, join us! Is it too early to call you brother-in-law?"

Luke didn't say anything but continued to walk past the table. His expression stayed cold. 

"I'm kidding, it was just a joke," Max quickly said, turning around in his chair to follow Luke with his gaze.

"Luke, you two have been up there for hours!" my mom announced from the head of the table, "We had to start eating and we're almost done."

"I'm sure you were working up an appetite," Max sniggered, "Keeping her busy for hours is impressive, Luke."

"Are you not joining us, Luke?" mom asked, speaking over her daughter's annoying boyfriend.

Luke may ignore Max, but he doesn't ignore my mom. He slowed to a standstill and reluctantly turned towards the dinner table.

Feeling the gaze of all four of them on him, Luke said, "I'm not staying for dinner."

I sighed, watching him from above. I looked at his firm stature as he faced the table head on.  

"Didn't Millie tell you we were having dinner tonight?" Flora asked, scolding up at me.

"I told her," Max supplied from the other side of the table, waving at me.

Max is getting really cosy with my family, really fast. Didn't he just get back with my sister?

Luke's eyes narrowed at Max who noticed and immediately redirected his attention to his plate, starting to eat again. 

Doz chuckled from his chair, the only sound he's made during this entire conversation.

And I tried to ignore the pang in my heart. Luke always had my back. 

"Family dinners are every Friday, Luke. You should come next week," mom said.

Since when do we have family dinners at all?