15 | A Long Nap

Ngl, the title is because I need a long nap - I'm surviving on caffeine (what's new).  But enough about me, how are you?  I hope you're happy and I hope your day is about to get better...

Chapter 15: A Long Nap

*Millie's POV*

12 missed calls.

Another 12 missed calls from Luke last night. I didn't answer them.

I know I'm not the best communicator and I've been working on that. 

But eff personal development right now.

I don't need to be the better person when I'm so much better than the person I'm facing. Lying. Backstabbing. Love of my life.

Love of my life. I'm only in high school but I'm sure of that.

He's the LOML.

I parked my car in the Coffee Bean parking lot at 7am. It was chilly early this morning, even though spring was coming. I blew into my hands as my car keys jingled, hanging off my pinkie finger.

"Hey Matt, can I get a dirty chai latte?"

Matt had his Coffee Bean hat and apron on as he tapped it into the register, "New order for you Millie. You're getting out of your comfort zone."

"Trying new things," I nodded, inhaling the smell of coffee all around me.

Matt had my dream job. I remember making so many applications for the Coffee Bean and getting rejected every time, before I landed my old part time job at Lola Rae.

He scribbled my name on a cup with a black sharpie, "Order's coming right up and I'll see you at dinner on Friday."

"What?" I asked, extending my phone to pay.

"Didn't Flora tell you?" he replied, surprised, "She and I are back together and your mom invited me to your family dinner this week. I'm excited to see you and Luke. You guys must be over the moon with how he's elevated his game recently. That three point record he-"

The fact that Flora didn't tell me anything was not news.

"Our family dinners?" Now that was the news. I had to make sure I wasn't just dreaming things.

I'm so tired, that I could very well be hallucinating.

"Yeah, sounds like a fun, weekly tradition you all have," he smiled, looking like he was reminiscing already, "What an amazing mom you have, keeping everyone all together. So I'll be seeing a lot more of you and Luke. We can double date."

"Ha."

Did I say that out loud?

"I'm full of joy, Matt," I tried to cover up with a big, fake grin, "For you and Flora. I can't wait to see you around the house more."

One big happy family. I wonder what Doz will say about all this.

I'm already thinking we should make Christmas cards with Doz front and center. Maybe Matt will like to join that too. And maybe Mr Dawson would take the photo for us?

Ha. Or should I say ho.

"Same, you won't need an excuse to come to the Coffee Bean so much anymore," he said and waved to greet the next customer.

I titled my head at him. Does he really think I... never mind. I let it go.

It was BC after all.