32 | Pretty and Privileged

Thank you to the lovely @cryingracoon_ for this Millie & Luke reel :) I can only post a picture to wattpad but you can check out the full reel on IG (I just shared it)! And I'll look for it on TikTok too!

Also with a chapter title like this, you KNOW we're talking about Luke right? Hahaha jk jk... but not really...

Chapter 32: Pretty and Privileged

I stared up at the ceiling in my bedroom. I don't sleep well anymore because any sound sounds like an intruder. Any shadow feels like Winnifred's shadow.

I hiccuped from under my bedsheets.

My mother left her liquor cabinet open tonight and I helped myself to a little wittle tipple.

"Luke and I are very strong," I whispered into the night, just in case it doubted me.

I waited to hear any disagreement. The night didn't disagree.

"I got money in my pocket and my pocket got money," I rapped. 

Again, no complaints. My window was open and an occasional breeze came through. 

Sure, I still got a few problems but it felt good knowing that my bank account was finally not in the red anymore. Every week that I tutored Lara, I was saving up more. 

I felt like a little leprechaun building up my pot of gold on one end of a warped rainbow.

1 gold coin = 1 coffee.

It's amazing how amazing independence feels.

If I saved up enough, I could even afford to visit Luke one weekend when he's in college. Maybe we could make long distance work. And if my mom were to leave again, I could feed myself and maybe even pay the bills. 

I yawned.

Depending on how much bills cost. I don't want to pay the bills. I want Luke to wear Mickey Mouse- 

I passed out.

**

~7.30 AM, Luke's Kitchen~

*Luke's POV*

Privileged and pretty high school senior, Luke Dawson won the genetic lottery. He walks with a confident gait that only a teenager who has had every win-

Mom pulled the newspaper out of my hand, "Please don't keep re-reading that article, Luke. It doesn't matter what the details say. You and Christopher are both extremely talented and you both have big opportunities ahead."

"Can you believe him?" I pulled the paper back from her hands and pointed to a line in the article where Chris was quoted, "I don't know Luke well. Folks from our neighborhoods rarely mix. But yeah, he was always the favorite around here and he acts like it too. I just keep my head down and focus on the next game."

End quote. 

I looked at my mom but she had already turned around to pull a waffle out of the toaster, clearly over this whole story. It's not her life they're trash talking.

"I just keep my head down and focus on the next game?!" I repeated angrily, "What is he, the pope? They make it sound like I'm sitting in some golden tower, getting pampered like I'm Chad and accidentally letting basketballs slide through my fingers into hoops."

Even I hate me when reading this excuse of an article.

"No way this lady got a journalism degree," I muttered, flipping through the article again. 

Jake strolled into the kitchen and, as usual, made zero impact that I had no idea he was even here until he took the waffle I was eying. 

Maybe he should go back to having a swollen head - at least he stands out more.