22 | A Standalone Human

I felt like sharing my 5 year plan in the poster above for ya.  I know I'm ambitious but a girl can dream ;)  Anyone else have a 5 year plan? 

Okie, well, without further adooo...

Chapter 22: A Standalone Human

*Luke's POV*

I walked out of the Ripley house, feeling conflicted about leaving Millie back there. She was different to the rest of that family. The door slammed behind me, and I hated how trapped she was inside.

But I guess that wasn't my problem now.

It was dark out. I picked up my phone as I walked across the street. "Char, where are you?"

"Why are you calling me right now?" my sister answered, "I'm on a date. Didn't mom tell you?"

"Who else are you with?" In the background, I heard soul-sucking elevator music that told me she was in some fancy restaurant.

Exactly the type of boring date I'd expect her to be on.

"I'm on a date with my date, Luke. Why are you calling?" she spoke to me like I was her idiot younger brother.

I guess I am.

"I want to go out tonight," I said, keeping the conversation light.

"Call your friends."

"Not in the mood for them. I want to go out with yours."

I hung up. I never call my sister, so she knew I needed this.

**

*One Hour Later*

I had cracked into my dad's alcohol cabinet and taken some of his whiskey. I was going to need liquid courage to get through tonight.

I rested my head against my hand, while the other hand gripped the glass. The minutes ticked by as I waited for Charlotte to come through.

I slowly rolled the glass and watched the gold liquid swirl in it. I hated this stuff, but Millie seemed to have a penchant for it. So why not try it out?

Tonight was for her.

Bright taillights shone through the window before I heard a car honk loudly, slowing down outside my house. I left the glass and grabbed my jacket.

Show time.

A sweet Porsche Panamera was outside my house. Boyfriend #2 must've borrowed his parents' car for the big date with Char tonight.

The tinted window rolled down and Char stuck her head out, "Get in the back. I'll give you your party."

I smirked and walked towards the car, seeing her loser boyfriend at the wheel. While I took a moment to admire the rims, I did my best not to think about the house across the street.

4 Dupont Avenue.

They were probably still at dinner. Millie's first family dinner. I always thought I would've been there for that.

But nothing ever seems to go the way I want it to.

I shook those thoughts out of my head and got into the car, "Thanks for picking me up. Didn't mean to crash your date."

Charlotte's boyfriend replied, "Yeah you did. Or at least, I don't think you cared about it one bit."

I raised my eyebrows. He wasn't wrong.

Charlotte told him, "Try to be nice. Both of you."

The boyfriend started to drive, and I watched the mph creep up on the speedometer. Minimal vibrations during acceleration. Smooth ride over the street corner, which means the suspension system must be really good.