Chapter 27: Footloose

Quentin

I'm haunted.

I have a great mom. Not only she had to contend with two rugrats at once, she dedicated herself to her family and taking time to raise us properly.

In a pack this size, a Luna's workload can seem infinite. So many people to visit, not to mention the official ceremonies she must attend with the Alpha.

Still, she pulled through. Never I felt neglected by her job and when she couldn't be there for us, she always enlisted her close friends or family.

Neither Jude or I spent a moment neglected. She knew the task ahead of her: raising the next Alpha of Ruckerford Falls and she took it to heart.

For the record, she made sure my father was present for us as well. When it came down to it, dad never neglected his duties as an equal partner in raising us.

My mother wouldn't allow it. She's a fierce woman and what she wants, she gets it.

I remember when I used to share a crib with baby Owen. Mr. Lancaster, his omega father, is a real estate agent who had control of his agenda. He doesn't have to work many hours because his family owns the real estate agency in which he works.

Being my mother's closest friend, it's easy to see why she trusted him to take care of her most prized possessions: her twins.

Because of a complication when she was delivering me, my mom can't have any more children. Basically, we're it for the next generation of Atwoods.

It's not that complicated to guess why I became friends with Owen, being the son of who he is.

Anyway, back to my original point, I'm haunted by the look of sheer horror and disappointment on my mother's face when she learned I was homophobic towards my brother.

I mean, you had to see it to believe but she was so distraught, so disappointed in me. I guess she never saw it coming.

As you can imagine by her choice in best friend, my mother had zero issues with Jude coming out of the closet.

She treated it like the natural thing that it is and nudged her mate in that direction as well.

My father had no time to show anything other than his acceptance, mom wouldn't have it any other way.

In fact, she probably dreamed her son would be mated to Mr. Lancaster's son. But not only Owen isn't an omega, he's straight.

I may have given my mother a lot of headache growing up, but she never could've fathomed her son would turn out to be a homophobe.

The look on my mother's face. It still haunts me. I just had to turn things around and change my ways.

I can't disappoint my mom, I just can't stand the look on her face. I can get away with lots of things, but not my mom looking like she's saddened on my account.

I have to draw the line somewhere. It is what it is.

It's Friday. The homecoming dance is tomorrow, but it's a very special day in the Atwood household.

"Happy birthday, dad!" - Jude and I congratulated him at the same time as we entered the kitchen where my mom prepared a special breakfast for the occasion. Dad was setting the table, as usual.

We take turns hugging and showering him with twin love.

"Thanks, boys. I can't believe it's been 20 years since I've been mated to your mother. The best day of my life, not counting the day you're both born." - Dad said, reminiscing.